CASEYVILLE • An infant suffered serious burns in a flash fire early Friday morning caused by careless smoking in a mobile home, authorities said.
The 2-month-old baby girl, Jayla Hopson, was being treated Friday night at Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center in St. Louis.
Laura Tucker, the girl's mother, said through a hospital spokeswoman that Jayla suffered burns over 10 to 12 percent of her body, contrary to an early report that she had been burned over the majority of her body. The hospital listed Jayla in critical condition.
Hollywood Heights firefighters were called to the 100 block of Southern Drive at about 12:10 a.m. Friday.
Careless smoking by Jayla's grandmother in the home apparently started the fire, according to authorities. They say the woman lit a cigarette near an oxygen tank and sparked a flash fire.
"My mom is absolutely devastated over what happened," Tucker said in the statement. "Immediately after she realized what happened, she ran to a neighbor's house for help. Our family would appreciate prayers at this time."
Jayla suffered burns on her arms, abdomen and back.
When firefighters arrived, they found the bedding still smoldering.