The quiz is loading
Warning: Sounds accompany each answer. You might want to adjust the volume if you are at work.
1. The infamous "wardrobe malfunction" halftime show in 2004 starred Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. They overshadowed the performances of three rappers during the same show. Who did NOT perform at that Super Bowl?
Wrong.Right. Eminem. The halftime show is now televised on delay to avoid any further displays of nudity. They wanted to nip it in the bud.
2. The first three Super Bowls featured traditional college marching bands at halftime. Super Bowl IV in 1970 in New Orleans featured a Broadway and film actress/singer who did a tribute to Mardi Gras. Who was it?
Wrong.Right. Carol Channing. Thankfully, there were no wardrobe malfunctions during her performance.
3. In 2002 at Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans, U2 performed three songs during their halftime show. Which one of these four songs got left off the play list?
Wrong.Right. "Sunday Bloody Sunday." Unfortunately, it was a bloody Sunday for the Rams, who lost to the New England Patriots 20-17.
4. In the early days of the Super Bowl, the halftime show was decidedly family-oriented (read: boring). The schmaltzy pop group Up With People performed during how many Super Bowls?
Wrong.Right. Four times (1976, '80, '82 and '86). A documentary about the group ("Smile 'Til It Hurts: The Up With People Story") debuted at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.
5. In 1993, the ratings for the halftime show were higher than for the game itself for the first time. What pop icon performed that year and changed the perception of the halftime show forever?
Wrong.Right. Michael Jackson. I'm sure Jacko attracted big numbers, but the game's ratings had to suffer with the Dallas Cowboys slaughtering the Buffalo Bills, 52-17.
6. In 2006 during halftime of Super Bowl XL, the Rolling Stones performed three songs on a giant tongue-shaped stage. The set included a new song, "Rough Justice," from a recent album and what two older classics?
Wrong.Right. "Start Me Up" and "Satisfaction." Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were both LXII years old at the time. I think I see a little moss gathering on them at this point.
7. For the first 10 years of the 21st century, the halftime show was headlined by aging Baby Boomer rock bands. Which of these megastar dinosaurs has not wheezed through the Super Bowl extravaganza?
Wrong.Right. Led Zeppelin. The Black Eyed Peas' performance in 2011 broke a streak of shows by potential AARP members.
8. During his halftime show in 2005, Paul McCartney played four songs, including a Wings hit ("Live and Let Die") and three Beatles classics. Which of these Beatles tunes did he NOT perform?
Wrong.Right. "Yesterday." Sir Paul also did not perform "When I'm Sixty-Four." He was 62 and a half at the time.
9. In 1991, a pop boy band was the lone performer at halftime. Which one of these groups played at Super Bowl XXV that year?
Wrong.Right. New Kids on the Block. They have reunited and will tour this summer although they are neither New nor Kids.
10. Before the kickoff in 1991, a stirring rendition of the national anthem was performed by which singer? Later, it was learned that she lip-synced to a recording that was played for the stadium and TV audience.
Wrong.Right. Whitney Houston. It is not true that they tried to book Milli Vanilli to "sing" it the following year.