RAMS EXTRAS

Atogwe agrees to five-year deal

2010-06-23T12:22:00Z 2010-08-02T00:19:04Z Atogwe agrees to five-year dealKathleen Nelson stltoday.com
June 23, 2010 12:22 pm  • 

The St. Louis Rams have signed safety Oshiomogho Atogwe to a five-year deal.

"It's a great time for me,” Atogwe said on a conference call. “Very peaceful, blessed that it’s been finalized and I can get back to what I truly love doing and that’s playing with the Rams and signing for the season coming up.”

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said in a statement: "We are excited to have O.J. back in the fold. We were always hopeful for this result. We look forward to having his leadership, character and talent back on our defense."

 

Negotiations have taken twists and turns since March, when the Rams tendered Atogwe at the lowest level. The Rams and Atogwe couldn't work out a multiyear deal earlier in the spring, then the team declined to pay him the one-year tender amount of $6,976,000, making him an unrestricted free agent on June 1. Atogwe skipped workouts and mini-camps this spring.

“Many emotions flowed through this entire process,” said Atogwe, who started 60 consecutive games before a shoulder injury sidelined him on December 6. “At times I felt like I was coming back and at times I felt I wasn’t. Through the passage of time and through patience and prayer, the best decision came to me.”

Among his career highlights: 19 interceptions and 19 forced fumbles, the largest combined total in the NFL since the start of 2006. He led the NFC in interceptions In 2007 with eight.

 

 

Copyright 2015 stltoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ACTIVATE YOUR DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION
VIDEOS
Highlights Sports features Gossip

Get weekly ads via e-mail
LOCAL OFFERS