Mizzou coach Frank Haith said Thursday that neither he nor his attorneys have heard from the NCAA regarding the pending notice of allegations it will make from its findings in the investigation of Miami, where Haith coached before he came to MU.
“No, I haven't,” Haith said, adding, “If (allegations do) come out, we'll let you know and talk about that when it does.”
It's not known whether Haith will face any allegations from the nearly two-year investigation, which became a national story based on an explosive and exhaustive Yahoo Sports report in the summer of 2011 largely focusing on the football program but also featuring an accusation that Haith was complicit in a $10,000 payment to secure a recruit.
Reports from multiple media outlets in Miami earlier this week suggested the notice is imminent, and it's believed it could be released as soon as Friday.
In an interview with the Miami Herald, an attorney for Haith, Michael L. Buckner, said Haith had not received a notice of allegations as of Wednesday night and that they “like everyone else” are eager to get clarity.
Buckner told the Herald that Haith “has given the NCAA thousands of pages of documents” at Haith's expense and that “the bill for him acquiring these documents has cost well into the thousands.”
The 2011 Yahoo report alleged rampant and outlandish NCAA rules violations at Miami and was framed around extensive interviews and documentation provided by rogue former Miami booster Nevin Shapiro, who is serving a 20-year prison sentence for his part in a $930-million Ponzi scheme.
Shapiro told Yahoo that Haith had been involved by extension in an illegal $10,000 payoff as part of Miami's recruitment of DeQuan Jones.
The allegation against Haith included seeming contradictions and oddities, including that Shapiro did not identify to whom the alleged payment in pursuit of Jones was made and that Shapiro said the $10,000 was later given back.
His specific accusation of Haith was that he thanked him for making the cash payment, which Shapiro said was carried out to the unknown party by then-Haith assistant Jake Morton.
Shapiro also told Yahoo he didn't believe Jones knew about the payment.
In separate interviews with the Post-Dispatch last year, Haith and Jones' mother denied Shapiro's allegation.
Jones, who was suspended for 10 games last season before being reinstated, also has denied the charge.
As the joint NCAA-Miami investigation continued into 2012, two other players were suspended for accepting impermissible benefits from members of Haith's staff during his seven-year stint at Miami.
Haith has not been publicly linked to those allegations.
If there are any NCAA allegations made against him, Haith would have at least 90 days to respond.
“Whatever happens, everyone has to understand, these are just allegations,” Buckner told the Herald. “The enforcement staff has been wrong before. The university involved and the coaches themselves have to look at what the NCAA produces and conduct their own investigations.
“There have been times when the NCAA has made allegations against my clients, and I’ve found glaring mistakes in the evidence. Maybe they didn’t interview everybody they should have or reached a conclusion that wasn’t supported by the evidence.
“It’s the job of the attorneys or whoever is representing each of the parties to do independent vetting of the evidence and bring that information forward to the NCAA so that the complete situation can be presented before the Committee on Infractions.”