The National College Fair is Sunday, October 21, at St. Louis University's Simon Recreation Center. Here are some tips on attending.
Before the Fair
1. Register online for the fair at www.gotomyncf.com to receive a barcode for easy onsite access to college representatives.
2. Print the barcode and bring it to the fair as your electronic ID.
3. Ask yourself following questions to help determine what kind of school would be best for you:
• Do I want to attend a large, medium or small school?
• What major do I wish to study?
• Do I want to attend an urban, suburban or rural school?
• Do I want to attend a two-year, four-year, single-sex, or religiously-affiliated school?
• Do I want to participate in athletics, clubs, fraternities, sororities or special programs such as study abroad or cooperative education?
4. Research colleges attending the fair to determine if they meet your search criteria.
5. Make a list of questions to ask college representatives.
At the Fair
1. Pick up a fair directory and bag for all of the materials you collect.
2. Visit schools that match or are the closest match to your search criteria. Be adventurous. Don’t just talk to the well-known schools.
3. Ask the college representative to scan your barcode. This will allow the representative to follow up with you directly—and quickly.
4. Ask the same questions to each college representative you visit.
5. Take notes. Write down what you find most interesting about each college.
6. Attend an information session to learn more about the college search process, financial aid and other topics.
After the Fair
1. Review college websites, catalogs and viewbooks to gather more information to help narrow your choices.
2. Send a thank you note/email to the college representatives you met. This simple gesture can show admission officials you're serious about wanting to attend their college.
This content was produced by Brand Ave. Studios in collaboration with NACAC. The news and editorial departments of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had no role in its creation or display. For more information about Brand Ave. Studios, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.