Supervalu said Thursday it has been unable to find a buyer for its remaining 16 area Shop 'n Save stores, and they will be closed in mid-November.
The move is expected to result in the layoff of more than 1,300 Shop ’n Save cashiers, stockers and other employees.
Storewide sales are planned at the locations, with discounts of up to 30 percent off, according to an advertisement emailed to customers Thursday.
The store closings were expected after Supervalu announced the sale of 19 St. Louis area Shop ’n Save stores to Schnuck Markets.
The acquired stores have since been rebranded as Schnucks stores.
The 16 stores being closed are located at:
- 1144 Meramec Station Road, Twin Oaks
- 4660 Chippewa Street, St. Louis
- 301 Watson Road, Crestwood
- 9251 Lewis and Clark Boulevard, Moline Acres
- 10461 Manchester Road, Kirkwood
- 1023 Crossroads Place, High Ridge
- 175 Flower Valley, Florissant
- 196 Mayfair Plaza, Florissant
- 10805 Old Halls Ferry Road, Ferguson
- 15446 Manchester Road, Ellisville
- 1755 Wabash Avenue, Springfield, Ill.
- 200 N. Grand Avenue, Springfield, Ill.
- 943 S. State Street, Jerseyville, Ill.
- 3521 Nameoki Road, Granite City, Ill.
- 1208 Camp Jackson Road, Cahokia, Ill.
- 4201 N. Belt W, Belleville, Ill.
In addition to the store closings, Supervalu also will close a distribution center on Hazelwood Avenue.