The Bacon Brothers are scheduled to the headline the Mardi Gras Pet Parade on Feb. 3. This is the first time organizers have booked a touring act to play the Pet Parade, which draws tens of thousands of revelers.
Featuring superstar Kevin Bacon and his brother Michael, the band plays a high-energy mix of rock, pop and folk. And then there is the name — Bacon, perfect for an event sponsored by Purina Beggin' Strips, the bacon-flavored dog treat.
The parade steps off at 1 p.m. at Menard and Allen streets and winds through the Soulard neighborhood. More than 1,200 dolled-up dogs are expected to register for the event; hundreds more will just show up for the fun. The Bacon Brothers will perform at 2:30 p.m. near Soulard Market Park.
The Mayor's Mardi Gras Ball on Feb. 8 also has booked a name act, Pink Floyd tribute band El Monstero. The act just wrapped up a six-date run at the Pageant. Tickets are $100. Admission includes open bar and dinner.
"The Mayor's Ball and Pet Parade are looking at higher profile entertainment this year," said Mardi Gras spokesman Mack Bradley. "There are a certain number of people who are going to come no matter what, but you always need to think about how to keep an event that happens on an annual basis fresh."
Mardi Gras organizers expect to the announce the music lineup for the Grand Parade next week.
Other Mardi Gras events include:
• Snowman Softball Tournament, 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Forest Park Central Ball Fields
• Winter Carnival and Parade, 11 a.m. Jan. 19, Soulard Market Park
• Wine, Beer and Whiskey, 6:30 p.m. Jan. 25, City Hall
• Cajun Cook-Off, Noon Jan. 26, City Hall
• Pet Parade, 1 p.m. Feb. 3, Soulard
• Wiener Dog Derby, 2 p.m. Feb. 3, Soulard Market Park
• Mayor's Mardi Gras Ball, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 8, City Hall
• Grand Parade, 11 a.m. Feb. 9, Soulard
• Fat Tuesday Parade, 7 p.m. Feb. 12, Washington Avenue