Happy Birthday Chaifetz Arena, and has it really been five years already?
The venue opened April 10, 2008 and hosted its first concert April 25 with Barry Manilow.
Among some of the most memorable moments there – the recent excellent Muse concert; seeing Carrie Underwood for the first time post-“American Idol” and fearing for her career; checking out one of my longtime favorites Stevie Nicks; and marveling out how good Lil Wayne’s “I Am Music” show was.
I also saw the Black Keys there for the first time there, Smashing Pumpkins after a long time, and Teena Marie for the last time.
And I still don’t know what to make of an infamous George Clinton concert (the same night as Marie).
In recognition of the venue’s fifth year, officials there have provided some fun Chaifetz Arena facts to mull over.
• 594: Total number of events held at Chaifetz Arena
• 70: Concerts held at Chaifetz Arena
• 5,344,271: Ounces of popcorn eaten, which could completely fill two Chaifetz Arena suites
• 80,363: Hotdogs sold, enough to stretch around the bases of a baseball field 130 times
• 7,735,356: Ounces of soda consumed, enough to fill 30,696 regulation sized basketballs
• 38,040: Gallons of water used to create the ice for Disney on Ice, enough to fill the bed of a pickup truck 126 times
• 1,725,521: Number of people walked through the turnstiles
• 37,451: Number of high school and college graduates to walk across the Chaifetz Arena stage to receive their diplomas
• 10,612: Largest single-event attendance (Men’s Basketball vs. Butler, Jan. 31, 2013)
• 10,549: Points scored by the SLU men’s (6,072) and women’s (4,477) basketball teams
• 6,938: Hours spent installing and removing the basketball court