Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
STL fitness trainer apologizes for 'fat-shaming' fan at Cards game

STL fitness trainer apologizes for 'fat-shaming' fan at Cards game

{{featured_button_text}}

After getting hammered by hundreds who hated his shaming of a woman at a Cardinals game, local fitness trainer Keath Hausher says he is sorry.

Following is a portion of an apology Hausher posted about noon Friday on the Facebook page of his Shark Fitness Training company, which specializes in boot-camp training:

"I would like to take a moment to express my apologies to the individual in the photograph I posted and those it upset. One of the things I have learned quite painfully over the last couple of days is how sometimes something that is well intentioned can be executed poorly."

By "executed poorly," Hausher may be referring to a post he made Tuesday, showing a photo of an overweight woman who he said was sitting in front of him at Monday's game. Hausher then derogatorily cataloged what she ate at the game and took a guess at how many calories she had taken in.

Hausher's Facebook page no longer contains that post, though others decry laziness and obesity in America.

For a time, this newspaper and other media reported on what appeared to be a response from the woman at the game, which was posted on a website, antijared.com. Later, the website's owner revealed that he, not the woman at the Cardinals game, wrote the response to Hausher. 

Hausher's apology today marks a change of direction for the trainer, who previously had been steadfast in his own defense.

"As usual, I've come under fire for being a 'fat-shamer' and a 'bully' for my views concerning obesity in our nation. I stand by every comment without reservation," Hausher wrote Tuesday night.

On Thursday, Hausher still stood strong on his side: "I stand by MY views ... not the one's I've been inaccurately portrayed to have."

Then came his apology Friday. In an email later Friday, Hausher said he regretted "that my post was deemed hurtful, as that was in no way my intent."

He concluded by saying, "I have absolutely learned my lesson and will be more careful going forward about how I use social media, and I don't think it's productive to draw further attention to what is now behind us." 

He was the subject of a 2011 Post-Dispatch story about a program to toughen up area men and women entering U.S. military academies, ROTC programs and Officer Candidate School.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Trending

Blues News

Breaking News

Cardinals News

Daily 6

National Breaking News

Sports