Dan Neman fries up some crunch potatoes. Video by Colter Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 5 canned whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ small yellow onion, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2½ pounds small waxy potatoes, quartered
1. Pulse paprika, sugar, tomatoes, garlic, onion, salt and pepper in a small food processor until coarsely ground. Heat olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook tomato mixture, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. If you want a smoother, less rustic sauce, puree in blender. Set aside.
2. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a 6-quart saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 220 degrees. Add potatoes all at once; cook until tender and pale golden, about 20 to 30 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer potatoes to paper towels to drain; remove oil from heat. Refrigerate potatoes for 30 minutes.
3. Return oil to medium-high heat and bring to a temperature of 350 degrees. Working in batches, fry potatoes until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer potatoes to paper towels to drain; season generously with salt. Drizzle potatoes with bravas sauce, and mayonnaise if desired.
Yield: 4 servings