Sunset 44 Bistro and Banquet Center
Yield: 2 loaves; 24 slices
20 ounces frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
22/3 cups (12 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups (1 pound) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups canola or vegetable oil
2 cups (7 ounces) chopped pecans
1. Generously grease 2 (9-by-5-inch) loaf pans with solid vegetable shortening; dust with flour and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Drain liquid from strawberries; reserve. Allow berries and juice to come to room temperature.
3. Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl.
4. In a large bowl, whisk eggs lightly. Whisk in oil. With a spoon or spatula, beat in strawberries and about one-fourth of the strawberry juice. Stir in dry ingredients. If batter is too dry, add more juice, a bit at a time. Stir in nuts. Do not overmix.
5. Spoon batter into pans, dividing evenly. Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If bread does not test done after 1 hour, reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake until done. Cool in pans on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before turning loaves out of pans. (Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.)
Tester's note: This batter can be baked into muffins or in mini loaf pans. Baking time will vary depending on the size.
Per slice: 335 calories; 21g fat (56 percent calories from fat); 2g saturated fat; 35mg cholesterol; 3.5g protein; 33g carbohydrate; 20g sugar; 2g fiber; 162mg sodium; 18mg calcium; 96mg potassium.