Vitello al Limone (Veal With Lemon Sauce) > Trattoria Branica
Yield: 2 servings
6 to 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
4 (2- to 3-ounce) veal scaloppini
About 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken or beef stock
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons butter
1. Wipe mushrooms with a dry paper towel, if necessary, to remove any surface soil. Remove stems and discard; slice caps thinly and set aside.
2. If necessary, pound veal gently between layers of plastic wrap until each piece is about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick. Coat veal lightly with flour; shake off any excess.
3. Place large skillet over medium-high heat; add enough olive oil to lightly coat bottom of pan. When skillet is hot, add veal. Brown lightly, about 30 seconds on each side. Remove meat to a warm dish and keep warm.
4. Reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms to skillet; cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine, stock and lemon juice. Continue to cook at a low boil until sauce is reduced by about half. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Return veal to pan and coat with sauce. Add butter to give the sauce a nice finish; stir gently until butter has melted.
Per serving: 420 calories; 26g fat; 8g saturated fat; 85mg cholesterol; 22g protein; 22g carbohydrate; 3g sugar; 1.5g fiber; 95mg sodium; 25mg calcium.
Recipe adapted for home kitchens by the Post-Dispatch