Beef Brochettes > BARcelona Tapas Restaurant
Yield: 2 servings
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
Ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons red wine
6 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
8 ounces beef tenderloin
1 red onion, cut into 1-inch sections
1 1/2 cups Burgundy wine
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1. Make the horseradish aioli. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, horseradish, 3/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until 1 hour before serving time. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
2. Whisk together red wine, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste; pour into a self-sealing plastic bag. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes; add to bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.
3. Before cooking, soak 2 (6-inch) bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Prepare a hot fire in the grill.
4. Prepare the sauce. In a small, heavy, nonstick skillet, stir together wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and red pepper flakes. Place over medium-high heat and stir constantly until sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat slightly and cook at a rapid simmer, stirring often, until wine is reduced to a thin syrup. (You should have about 3/4 cup.) Discard the cinnamon stick. Keep warm.
5. Drain beef; discard marinade. Alternate red onion and cubes of beef on skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Grill to desired doneness.
6. Serve brochettes with aioli and warm sauce.
Per serving: 1,160 calories; 65g fat; 12g saturated fat; 100mg cholesterol; 24g protein; 88g carbohydrate; 78g sugar; 1g fiber; 360mg sodium; 30mg calcium.