Yield: 8 servings
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons hot sauce or to taste
1/2 cup ranch dressing, plus extra for dipping
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, grilled
8 (6-inch) egg-roll wrappers
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
Cornstarch, for dusting
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Make the Ranchito Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, hot sauce and 1/2 cup ranch dressing. Set aside to serve with finished egg rolls.
2. Slice chicken diagonally into strips about 1/3-inch thick. Cut avocado in half lengthwise; discard pit. Remove flesh from skin and slice flesh into 16 wedges.
3. Place one egg roll wrapper on the counter, one corner pointing toward you in a diamond (not square) shape. Stack one-eighth of the chicken, tomatoes, bacon and cheese in a line across the lower third of the wrapper, being careful to leave at least 1 inch between the filling and each edge of the wrapper. Top with 2 slices avocado.
4. Fold the lower third of the wrapper over the filling, and gently pull back to tuck into a tight bundle. Paint egg wash along the remaining edges of the wrapper. Fold sides of wrapper over filling; roll up and press egg-washed edges firmly to seal.
5. Dust a tray or baking sheet lightly with cornstarch; place finished egg roll, seam side down, on the tray. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
6. Heat oil in a deep skillet to 375 degrees. Fry egg rolls 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain well on paper towels. Serve with Ranchito Sauce and plain ranch dressing for dipping.
Per serving (1 egg roll plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce): 350 calories; 25g fat; 5g saturated fat; 60mg cholesterol;13g protein; 20g carbohydrate; 1g sugar; 2.5g fiber; 470mg sodium; 80mg calcium.