Deep Butter Cake > Helfer's Pastries and Deli Cafe
Yield: 8 to 9 servings
For crumb mixture:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring (see note)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
11/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
13/4 cups cake flour
Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Prepare the crumb mixture. In a small mixer bowl, beat together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter until fluffy. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring and all-purpose flour; beat at low speed just until crumbly. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Prepare the batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch-square baking pan.
3. Combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1 cup butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixer bowl; beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs; beat on high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until light.
4. Combine milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring. Alternately add cake flour and milk mixture to batter, starting and ending with flour. Beat on low speed, scraping sides of bowl, until well mixed.
5. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly in prepared pan. Spread batter over crumb mixture. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until top is deep golden brown and cake tests done in the center with a wooden pick. Cool 5 minutes.
6. Place a flat plate or cake board on top of the pan. Hold the pan and plate together securely; turn over. Carefully remove the pan. (The crumb side is now the top of the cake.) Dust with powdered sugar.
Note: Butter flavoring is sold with the extracts in supermarkets. Its flavor is essential to the success of this recipe.
Per serving (based on 9): 500 calories; 28g fat; 17g saturated fat; 115mg cholesterol; 5g protein; 58g carbohydrate; 37g sugar; 0.5g fiber; 220mg sodium; 40mg calcium.