Yield: 3 large servings
10 cups spring mix to include tender baby lettuce, spinach, arugula, red leaf romaine, frisee, red oak leaf and green mustard mizuna
¼ cup shredded cheese mix of provolone, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
½ cup sliced strawberries, tops removed, sliced across the berry 3/16 wide
¼ cup well-drained canned mandarin orange pieces
¼ cup roughly chopped walnuts or walnut pieces
6 tablespoons salad dressing of your choice or to taste
Notes: For the test we used Organic Girl Spring Mix augmented with arugula and baby spinach.
• At Drake’s Place, the most popular dressing for this salad, and for any salad served there, is Drake’s Signature House dressing, a creamy dressing with a hint of celery and a pleasantly peppery pop. You can buy Drake’s dressing at the restaurant. The owners are developing it for retail sales. For the test, we used Ken’s Lite Caesar with a little added lemon juice for one serving, and Newman’s Own Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette for the other. Both dressings worked well.
1. Divide washed and well-dried greens equally on each plate.
2. Scatter with cheese shreds.
3. Place strawberries and mandarin oranges in a pleasing pattern on each place.
4. Sprinkle with walnuts, top with dressing, and serve.
Per serving: 198 calories; 15g fat; 3g saturated fat; 5mg cholesterol; 7g protein; 12g carbohydrate; 6g sugar; 4g fiber; 406mg sodium; 147mg calcium
Satisfy your cravings
With our weekly newsletter packed with the latest in everything food.