Yield: 4 lunch or 2 dinner servings
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) softened butter, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each)
1/2 cup Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (about 3 ounces)
1 cup broccoli florets
2 tablespoons chopped prosciutto (about 1 slice)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 pinch red pepper flakes
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups shredded provel
(8 ounces), divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1/4 cup butter; set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup butter with flour, using the back of a fork or a pastry blender to mix until creamy.
3. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut each piece of chicken in half. Coat chicken with bread crumbs, pressing firmly. Drizzle coated chicken with melted butter; grill or broil for about 5 minutes per side or until fully cooked. Keep chicken warm while you make the sauce.
4. In a large ovenproof skillet, bring stock to a boil; whisk in butter-flour mixture. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens. Reduce to a simmer. Add mushrooms, broccoli, prosciutto, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and wine. Simmer 5 minutes.
5. Place cooked chicken pieces in sauce; sprinkle cheese on top of each chicken piece, dividing evenly. Place in oven and bake just until cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Lift chicken onto plates; use a slotted spoon to ladle vegetables over cheese. Pour sauce over all; serve immediately.
Per lunch serving: 756 calories; 56g fat (67 percent calories from fat); 33g saturated fat; 220mg cholesterol; 44g protein; 19g carbohydrate; 3g sugar; 1g fiber; 1295mg sodium; 472mg calcium; 454mg potassium.
Note: If using fresh broccoli, cut florets and steam or microwave just until crisp-tender. If using frozen broccoli spears or florets, thaw and drain well.
Tester's note: The sauce may be started about 30 minutes ahead. Prepare as directed, but do not add mushrooms and broccoli. Just before serving, add vegetables and simmer until hot, about 7 minutes.