Yield: 9 servings
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
4 tablespoons chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
Generous 2 ½ teaspoons ground dill weed
1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
Generous 1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil, for deep frying
3 ½ pounds frozen potato pieces
1/3 cup cooked bacon and parsley, for garnish
Notes: Three Monkeys uses an extra-rich mayonnaise common in restaurants, Duke’s Real Mayonnaise is a good substitute.
• For potatoes, Three Monkeys uses a commercial potato product especially for frying; as a substitute, look for breakfast potatoes in the freezer section of local grocery stores.
• Scaling restaurant recipes for home kitchens is some times more art than science. To maintain the restaurant’s exact proportions, this recipe calls for “generous” amounts, just use a little bit more than called for.
1. The day before serving, in a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, celery, onion, dill, parsley, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. With an immersion blender, mix until quite smooth but not pureed. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate.
2. Heat oil in a deep fryer or large heavy pot to 375 degrees. In batches to avoid crowding, deep fry potatoes until brown and crispy. Drain excess grease on paper towels. Toss hot potatoes in sauce.
3. To serve Three Monkeys-style, serve warm garnished with bacon and parsley.
Per serving: 717 calories; 63g fat; 10g saturated fat; 27mg cholesterol; 6g protein; 33g carbohydrate; 3g sugar; 4g fiber; 392mg sodium; 61mg calcium
Recipe adapted for home kitchens by the Post-Dispatch.