Yield: 4 servings
2 medium eggplants, about 1½ pounds total, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon ground cumin
6 Tuscan kale leaves, ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely torn
1 medium cucumber
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
Olive oil for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Toss eggplants with vegetable oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt. Roast, tossing halfway through, until eggplants are charred in spots and tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cumin and toss to coat.
3. Meanwhile, heat a dry, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add kale, arranging to fit in a single, even layer (work in batches if needed). Cook, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and crisp, about 4 minutes. If using curly kale, weigh it down with another pan while it cooks.
4. Grate cucumber on the medium holes of a box grater; squeeze out excess liquid with your hands and transfer to a medium bowl. Mix in yogurt, lemon juice and garlic; season with salt.
5. Toss tomatoes with a good pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil in a medium bowl. Spoon yogurt mixture onto a platter and layer eggplants, kale and tomatoes on top. Drizzle with more olive oil.
Per serving: 315 calories; 21g fat; 14g saturated fat; 9mg cholesterol; 11g protein; 26g carbohydrate; 16g sugar; 10g fiber; 518mg sodium; 125mg calcium
Recipe from Bon Appetit