Yield: 4 to 6 servings
4 medium zucchini, about 2 pounds
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1½ cups minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces mushrooms, minced
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
1½ cups cooked rice, any kind
1½ cups minced almonds or pecans, lightly toasted
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Black pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste
A few pinches of freshly minced or dried herbs (any combination of parsley, basil, dill, thyme or marjoram)
1 cup (packed) grated Swiss or cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the zucchini lengthwise down the middle. Use a smallish spoon to scoop out the insides, leaving a canoe with a ¼-inch shell. Mince the insides, and set everything aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and salt, and sauté over medium heat until the onion is soft, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the minced zucchini innards and the mushrooms. Turn up the heat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring, letting the liquid evaporate. Stir in the garlic and remove from heat.
4. Stir in the rice and nuts, along with the lemon juice, and season to taste with black pepper, cayenne and the herbs of your choice.
5. Fill the zucchini shells, top with cheese and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated through. Serve hot.
Per serving (based on 4): 398 calories; 28g fat; 5g saturated fat; 17mg cholesterol; 16g protein; 25g carbohydrate; 6g sugar; 6g fiber; 414mg sodium; 262mg calcium
Recipe from “Moosewood Cookbook,” by Mollie Katzen