• Pick broccoli regularly to encourage production of additional side shoots.
• Pinch off any young tomatoes that are too small to ripen. This will channel energy into ripening remaining mature, full-sized fruits.
• Sow spinach now for a late crop that can be overwintered under mulch for spring harvest.
• Lift gladiolus when their leaves yellow. Cure in an airy place until the tops dry thoroughly before harvesting and storing the corms.
• Look for paw paws ripening in the woods now.
• It’s not unusual to see puffballs and other mushrooms in lawns at this time of year, especially after a rainstorm.
Stay up to date on life and culture in St. Louis.