• Keep your hoe sharp and don’t allow weeds to get an early start in your garden.
• Seed ticks are active now. Be sure to apply repellent when walking or working in the woods.
• Birds eat many insect pests. Provide a varied mix of trees and shrubs to attract them to your garden.
• Nectar feeders hung now may attract migrating ruby-throated hummingbirds to visit your garden.
• Sow seeds of luffa and hard-shell gourds indoors in peat pots. Soak seeds overnight to improve germination. Plant outdoors next month.
• Plant raspberries and blackberries for low-maintenance, high-yielding fruit crops.
Every week, we feature a St. Louis-area home to showcase, usually because of its great style; but sometimes, just being quirky earns it the distinction.