• Prune unwanted shoots as they appear on fruit trees.
• Prune azaleas lightly after flowering.
• Fertilize azaleas, rhododendrons, hollies, magnolias, dogwoods and conifers (spruce, pine, etc.) before spring ends. Special formulations are available specifically for these acid-loving trees and shrubs.
• Transplant peppers and eggplant into the vegetable garden. Most varieties also grow well in containers.
• Plant sweet potatoes and okra now.
• Fertilize zoysia grass lawns now that they have greened up.
Every week, we feature a St. Louis-area home to showcase, usually because of its great style; but sometimes, just being quirky earns it the distinction.