An inappropriate treat went home with preschoolers after a Valentine’s Day party Friday at The Goddard School in Manchester.
A parent mistakenly included small liquor-filled chocolates in the children’s Valentine’s Day boxes, according to owner Marla Brunk.
“As soon as we learned this candy was placed in a few of our children’s Valentine’s boxes, we notified all parents in the classroom. To our knowledge, no child consumed the candy,” Brunk said. “We take incidents like this very seriously. We have self-reported the incident to our corporate office and state licensor, and are working with the state to investigate the situation. As a precaution, the teachers responsible for the classroom will be on probation until the investigation has concluded,” she said in a statement.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services confirmed that the school reported the incident to the department’s Section for Child Care Regulation and an investigation was initiated, according to spokesman Ryan Hobart.
There is no additional information available at this time, because this is an ongoing investigation, Hobart added. State officials will talk with facility staff and any other people who were involved to try to figure out what happened, he said.
Brunk said school officials spoke with the parent involved, who was very apologetic, stating that she had no idea that there was small amounts of alcohol in the chocolates. The parent apologized profusely and said that it would never happen again, Brunk said.
“(Investigators) are working with us to understand the situation and how this can be prevented in the future,” she added.
The school was not sure of exactly which types of alcoholic candy was distributed, but it included Stoli Russian Vodka Orange, with 5 percent alcohol.