Subscribe: $5 for 5 months!

UPDATED at 12:50 p.m. with new statement from governor

FERGUSON • As cleanup got underway, the tally of damage mounted Tuesday morning in the wake of the grand jury decision not to indict Darren Wilson.

St. Louis County Police Sgt. Brian Schellman said at least 61 people were arrested. Charges ranged from burglary to trespassing to receiving stolen property.

As of 8:30 a.m., area hospitals reported a total of 23 injuries including three admissions and two gunshot victims.

Gov. Jay Nixon decried the violence in Ferguson and said there will be more Missouri National Guard troops supporting local police Tuesday night. Details will be released later.

"The violence we saw in areas of Ferguson last night is unacceptable," Nixon said Tuesday afternoon. "That is why today I am meeting with leaders from the Guard and law enforcement to ensure the protection of lives and property."

Deundrake Lewis, 54, of St. Charles, was thankful his restaurant — Drake's Place on South Florissant Road — wasn't damaged Monday night but upset that more hadn't been done to protect businesses, especially since a state of emergency had been declared.

"That's what I thought the National Guard was here for  to protect residents and businesses, but it didn't happen," said Lewis, who was helping others clean up Tuesday morning.

He was nervous about what might happen Tuesday night.

"I'm praying that after last night they know what to do tonight and know the areas they really need to protect," he said.  

Hundreds of people showed up to help clean up the damage along South Florissant.

Among them were four students from the University of Missouri-Columbia home on Thanksgiving break. They came with brooms and trash bags.

"We felt obligated to, it's our community," said Mikale Elliott, 19, of Florissant. "Despite the protesters and the bad ones, we have to help put it together regardless of what happened last night."

Her friend, Shelbey Parnell, 19, of St. John, imagined St. Louis as a phoenix that will rise again.

"It all starts here," she said.

Maria Flores, 66, of St. Peters, was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support Tuesday morning after her restaurant — El Palenque — was damaged overnight by bricks thrown through the windows.

Volunteers boarded up the windows early Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, friends were calling, people were sweeping up outside and nuns from the School Sisters of Notre Dame dropped by to tell Flores that the order would send her family $1,000 to help. The family attends Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church, which is served by the order.

"This is the Ferguson community," Flores said. "When something happens, everyone is there helping each other.''

Bart Bouchein, 44, of West County, saw a photo on Twitter of people cleaning and was inspired to come help.  He got in a car and drove to Ferguson, not sure what he could do.

When he arrived and saw everyone helping, he got choked up.

"For every one looter there are a thousand people willing to help," he said. 


St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar, speaking at a press conference at 1:30 a.m., said he was grateful nobody was killed but disappointed at the amount of damage in the Ferguson area.

“What I've seen tonight is probably much worse than the worst night we ever had in August, and that's truly unfortunate,” he said.

He said that there was basically “nothing left” along West Florissant Avenue between Solway Avenue and Chambers Road. “Frankly, I'm heartbroken about that," he said.

Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson said, “We talked about peaceful protest, and that did not happen tonight. We definitely have done something here that's going to impact our community for a long time... That's not how we create change.”

Belmar said officers used tear gas near West Florissant and Chambers. A highway patrol lieutenant was hit by a glass bottle. Two St. Louis County police cars were torched, he said.

Belmar said as far as he knew, police did not fire shots, but there was plenty of gunfire in the area.  He said he personally heard at least 150 shots.

He said he and Johnson drove around earlier and “got lit up,” and he was surprised they were not hit. Commanding officers were hesitant to leave officers at road blockades because of so much gunfire in those particular areas, he said.

They reported one shooting in the 9100 block of Halls Ferry Road and a report of one near the McDonald's on West Florissant. The shooting limited the ability of firefighters to safely douse fires at burning businesses.

"Change is created through our voice, not the destruction of our community,” said Johnson.

Belmar said he didn't think the late-in-the-day timing of the announcement was a factor in the violence. He said he didn't get any advance notice of what the jury's decision would be and that he didn't expect it because it would be inappropriate under the grand jury system.

“I don't think we were underprepared,” he said.

He and Johnson spent many hours meeting with protesters and clergy in recent weeks, he said. “"We not only were engaged, we did everything we could to prevent this."

He said he expected more Missouri National Guard troops in the near future and changes in “operation procedures.”

About 1 a.m., Nixon issued a press release saying he ordered more guardsmen to Ferguson. "The Guard is providing security at the Ferguson Police Department, which will allow additional law enforcement officers to protect the public," the statement said.

He reiterated his intention in the afternoon statement. 

Shortly after 2 a.m., at least five busloads of National Guard troops pulled up along South Florissant in the old town area of Ferguson.

The damage toll in the Ferguson area also included:

• At least a dozen cars were on fire at an Auto By Credit dealership in Dellwood.

• Just north of the dealership, a Conoco service station-convenience store was destroyed by fire.

• The Walgreens at North Florissant Road and Hereford Avenue was looted and burned.

• Little Caesars pizza on North Florissant was burned.

• An antiques and collectibles store, Hidden Treasures, attached to Little Caesars was destroyed by fire.

• On South Florissant,  Boost Mobile and Ferguson Optical Inc. reported windows broken and Beauty World was looted.

• Sam’s Meat Market and Beauty Town on West Florissant were reported burned.

• Ferguson Market and O’Reilly Auto Parts on West Florissant were looted.

• Toys R Us north of Ferguson near Interstate 270 was looted.

• A Phillips 66 convenience store at Chambers and Atwater Avenue was trashed and looted.

• A fire broke out in a business building just south of the McDonald’s on West Florissant.

• Windows were smashed at the McDonald’s and other businesses nearby.

• St. Louis Fish Chicken and Grill was burned.

• People broke into Public Storage on West Florissant. Fire gutted the office building attached to the storage facility. Fashions R Boutique, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone and TitleMax also were burned.

• Several businesses north of the Ferguson police station had front windows broken out.

• Cathy’s Kitchen had a window smashed.

• Red’s Barbecue was damaged by fire.

• There was a fire at the Family Dollar store on Halls Ferry Road just south of Interstate 270.

• Fire hit a building on West Florissant that houses a cell phone business and #HealStL, a community outreach program set up by St. Louis Alderman Antonio French.

• Windows were broken at Queen's Royal Touch Salon and Spa at Chambers and West Florissant.

Michele Munz of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Editor's note:  An earlier version of this report included an inaccurate spelling of El Palenque restaurant.

Get high-interest news alerts delivered promptly to your inbox.