ST. LOUIS • A federal judge on Monday ordered that a St. Louis man accused of making at least eight bomb threats to Jewish organizations remain in jail until his possible indictment and trial.
U.S. District Judge David Noce said that the allegations against Juan M. Thompson, 32, were “very serious,” and that allowing him out of jail on bond would “not reasonably assure the court that he will not endanger the safety of any other person or the community.”
Thompson was arrested March 3 and accused of making copycat threats against Jewish organizations as part of a campaign of harassment of an ex-girlfriend.
Charging documents claim that in January and February, he emailed Jewish community centers, schools, a museum and other organizations, using either his ex-girlfriend’s name or his own. He claimed on social media that she was trying to falsely implicate him, the complaint says.
Thompson’s assistant federal public defender, Lucille Liggett, sought house arrest and GPS monitoring at a hearing last week, saying he had no criminal record and would stay at the home of his mother and stepfather in St. Louis.
Noce rejected that, writing that allowing Thompson to stay in the home from which he had allegedly made some threats might not stop him from making more. Noce wrote that GPS monitoring might inhibit his ability to flee, but wouldn’t stop threats. He pointed out that Thompson “continued his unlawful activity while under judicial orders of protection and after being warned by law enforcement to stop.”
Noce also wrote that Thompson has been accused of harassing Riverfront Times reporter Doyle Murphy, who documented ethical breaches in Thompson’s prior reporting job.
Thompson has lived most of his life in St. Louis, Noce wrote, but has lived in New York several times since he was 19, plus Chicago, Minnesota and Iowa.
He has also traveled internationally, to Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Rome and the Dominican Republic, and has been prescribed medication for anxiety.
Jewish community centers and schools received more than 100 bomb threats in January and February, the JCC Association of North America said.