You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Man found dead in car near Canfield apartments in Ferguson

Man found dead in car near Canfield apartments in Ferguson

Subscribe for $3 for 3 months

UPDATED at 4:40 p.m. with death being treated as a homicide.

Police found the body of a man inside a parked car in Ferguson early Tuesday, after a night of looting and unrest ravaged parts of that city.

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said the case is being investigated as a homicide, but wouldn't say how the man died.

Asked if the death was linked to nearby rioting on West Florissant Avenue, he said he couldn't discount it.

The body was discovered inside a sedan near Glen Owen Drive and Windward Court at about 9 a.m. Tuesday. That's just east of the Canfield Apartments and down the street from Canfield Drive, where Michael Brown was fatally shot Aug. 9 by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson.

The St. Louis County grand jury's decision not to indict Wilson for a crime sparked a new round of protests Monday night.

Rick Eckhard, an officer with the St. Louis County Police Department, said the car was parked in the 9400 block of Glen Owen. The St. Louis County crimes against persons unit is investigating.

Eckhard said someone saw the man in the car and called police.

A woman who was crying and pacing nearby said: "They killed my baby." Officers tried to hold her back, but she got close enough to the car to see who was inside.

Ferguson resident Richard Taylor, who lives nearby on Samana Drive, said he saw four people with guns outside of his apartment Monday night who were talking about looting and saying they wanted to kill someone.

"I knew it was going to be true," Taylor said. "When I got up this morning, I saw this."

Taylor said he called police after he overheard those people talking, but they never showed up.

"There was a lot going on last night, but I thought at least someone would show up to arrest these guys," Taylor said.

He said he doesn't know it was related to the homicide but said he worried it was going to be bad.

One onlooker, who identified himself only as C. Robinson, stopped by the crime scene and had this to say about what Ferguson went through Monday night. "It was pretty much Beirut," he said. "It's only going to get worse." 

"This stuff's got to stop eventually. I don't know when. Hopefully soon."

Kim Bell of the Post-Dispatch staff contributed to this report.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Blues News

Breaking News

Cardinals News

Daily 6

National Breaking News