Subscribe now!

ST. LOUIS  A man was shot and killed by a St. Louis police officer Thursday, after the man shot another officer in the leg, police said.

The shooting occurred around noon at Delmar and Josephine Baker boulevards, one block east of Grand Center, behind Circus Flora's tent.

The shooting marks the sixth time a St. Louis Metropolitan police officer shot at someone in 2019. Five of the six were fatal. There were 13 shootings by city officers last year.

On Thursday, U.S. Marshals were preparing to arrest the man, 26, on a federal weapons charge and parole violation connected to a homicide, St. Louis police Chief John Hayden said at a press conference after the shooting. Plainclothes St. Louis officers were working as backup to the marshals' operation, he said. 

The suspect was driving in a vehicle with an adult female passenger when marshals converged on the man, Hayden said. The man then took off running and police followed.

After a short foot chase, the man turned and shot one of the St. Louis officers, striking him in the upper thigh, Hayden said. Another officer then shot and killed the man, he said.

Police recovered two firearms in connection with the incident: a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol and a loaded .223 AR-style pistol. A bag belonging to the suspect and containing a drum magazine with 60 cartridges also was found at the scene, police said.

The injured officer was sent to SSM Health St. Louis University Hospital. He was conscious and talking, and headed for surgery Thursday afternoon.

Police did not immediately identify the suspect or the officers by name. The officer who was shot is 37 years old and has been with St. Louis police for 14 years. The officer who returned fire is 47 years old and has been with the department for 17 years. 

The woman in the vehicle stayed at the scene and was detained by police.

Police did not answer further questions.

An eyewitness near the shooting Thursday, Meghan Homa, said she saw multiple police cars racing through the area before spotting a man dressed in black pants and a black sweatshirt half-running down Washington Boulevard.

The man then squeezed through a fence next to the lot of Circus Flora, she said. Homa said she saw an officer wearing a bullet-proof vest follow after him.

"He was chasing him and shouting at him," she told the Post-Dispatch. "Like: Stop running!"

Homa said she saw the man and officer circle around a trailer on the lot before the officer shot the man. 

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

By 12:30 p.m. Thursday, police officers and officials had gathered at the hospital, allowing only emergency traffic through the main entrance.

At the crime scene, less than 2 miles north, at least 15 police vehicles had arrived, and police had set a boundary with crime scene tape that stretched for blocks. Evidence markers were set just south of Delmar, near Josephine Baker and Samuel Shepard Drive.

By 1:15 p.m., about 35 bystanders had gathered. Several who claimed to know the victim asked police to be allowed past the crime scene tape, closer to the shooting scene. When police refused, some heated exchanges occurred, but nothing further.

"You didn't have to kill him," said a visibly distraught woman who identified herself as the dead man's mother. "You could've shot him a couple of times; you didn't have to kill him."

One bystander, a man named Keith who declined to give his last name, said he was working at the nearby offices of American Automotive, but heard no gunshots. “I heard some sirens, then some more sirens, then some more sirens,” he said. “That’s when I thought I’d go outside and take a look.”

Get high-interest news alerts delivered promptly to your inbox.