ST. LOUIS • A violent weekend in the city continues, with at least 16 people shot on Saturday and Sunday in 10 separate incidents. Two of the people died.
Three people hit by gunfire actually had shot themselves accidentally, police said Monday.
The violence was not limited to the city.
A highly recruited eighth-grade football phenom was shot to death at a party in Venice, and another man was wounded by gunfire in what police said appeared to be a drug transaction in north St. Louis County.
The spate of violence came on the same weekend that the St. Louis police chief appeared at a crime prevention summit to say crime was in retreat.
During that meeting, Chief John Hayden said: “I’m going strictly on the data, which shows crime overall is down 22 percent compared to last year at this time. Yes, there have been some really sensational shootings, but we are better and safer than this time last year.”
In an email, the police department later clarified Hayden's comments to say that homicides were down by 22 percent, not overall reports of crime.
On Sunday, police released details on five new incidents in which seven people were shot, one fatally.
• At 12:11 p.m. on Saturday, police found a woman unresponsive in an alley near Cabanne Boulevard and Union Avenue in the city's Academy/Sherman Park neighborhood. She was pronounced dead.
• At 9:41 p.m. on Saturday, police investigated a shooting Saturday night on Delmar Boulevard near the MetroLink Station. A man and a woman were shot, and taken to an area hospital. The injuries were not life-threatening, police said.
• At 12:02 a.m. Sunday, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the leg while playing basketball in Fox Park.
• At 12:20 a.m. Sunday, a man showed up conscious and breathing at an area hospital with a gunshot wound to his leg. The police department incident log said it was related to another incident at Goodfellow Boulevard and Natural Bridge Avenue; no information was available about the other incident. On Monday, police said it turns out the man had shot himself accidentally while getting into a vehicle near Dressell and Brennan avenues. Police say the previous report of Natural Bridge and Goodfellow was wrong.
• At 1:11 a.m. on Sunday, a man and a woman showed up at an area hospital with gunshot wounds from the same incident. The woman had been involved in a car crash at Page and North Grand boulevards.
The police department released few details about the shootings on Saturday and Sunday. A department spokeswoman said officers will provide more information Monday.
St. Louis County also saw a shooting on Saturday. One man was wounded, apparently after an attempted drug transaction, police said.
The 31-year-old victim was shot in the 2800 block of Dunn Road behind a vacant business, police said. The site is near West Florissant Avenue and Interstate 270 in an unincorporated area of the county.