Subscribe for 99¢

ST. LOUIS — St. Louis Blues left winger Pat Maroon and Chris Wideman, a defenseman in the Pittsburgh Penguins organization, made a house call Tuesday to visit with the children and family of slain North County Cooperative Police Officer Michael Langsdorf.

Langsdorf, 40, was a Blues fan and had taken his children, Olivia, 13, and Kaleb, 18, to the Stanley Cup victory parade downtown just a few weeks ago, his friends have said.

Maroon and Wideman, both St. Louis natives, posed for pictures with the children at Langsdorf’s home Tuesday and also with Langsdorf’s parents, friends and fiancée, Kim Haag, according to a statement released by fellow officer and close friend Brian Jost.

Maroon, 31, told the Post-Dispatch that Wideman coordinated the visit, which lasted for about an hour.

“It was an easy thing for me to say ‘yes’ to,” Maroon said. “We all wanted to do something right away, but we didn’t want to overstep any boundaries.”

Maroon said he was “extremely nervous” going in to meet the family.

“I’ve never had anyone that close to me pass away, I can only imagine what it must be like for his kids, his fiancée and his parents,” Maroon said. “I hope we went there and lifted them up even just a tad because you never want to see anyone go through anything like that.”

Wideman, 29, said his trainer knew Jost and suggested the hockey player do something special for Langsdorf’s family because they were hockey fans. That’s when Wideman said he called “Patty” to set up a time for the both of them to visit.

“I knew how much it would mean to them to get Pat to show up,” he said. “I just told him, ‘What you’ve done for the city is incredible and what you could do for this family is far beyond the Stanley Cup.’”

The adults in the room knew the players were coming, but they surprised all of the children, Wideman said.

The players walked in shaking everyone’s hands, and walked out about 45 minutes later with hugs, Wideman said.

The St. Louis Hero Network, a nonprofit that promotes businesses owned by first responders and military veterans, depicted the moment on its Facebook page.

On Monday, thousands of mourners bid Langsdorf a final farewell during a funeral Mass at the Cathedral Basilica and burial at Resurrection Cemetery.

He was killed June 23 by a man police say was trying to cash two checks worth more than $6,000 at a grocery store in Wellston.

Before joining the North County Police Cooperative three months ago, Langsdorf had served 17 years with the St. Louis police.

Editor's note: Corrects the day when Pat Maroon visited the Langsdorf family.

Get high-interest news alerts delivered promptly to your inbox.