You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
St. Louis rapper Huey killed in double shooting in Kinloch

St. Louis rapper Huey killed in double shooting in Kinloch

Subscribe for $3 for 3 months

UPDATED at 2 p.m. Friday with comments from the rapper’s current manager.

ST. LOUIS — The St. Louis rapper Huey, whose 2006 debut single “Pop, Lock & Drop It” soared the Billboard charts, was killed in a double shooting in Kinloch late Thursday night. He was 32.

The shooting happened just before 11 p.m. in the 8100 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard. St. Louis County police identified the victim as Lawrence Franks Jr., known to rap fans as Huey.


Lawrence Franks Jr., who went by the stage name Huey, in a photo from his Facebook page.

Social media lit up overnight with reports of his death and condolences from relatives and fans. One of them, Bruce Franks Jr., said on Twitter, “They killed my lil cousin.”

Police said the rapper was rushed to a hospital in a private car by someone at the scene, but he died after arriving at the hospital. He had been shot at least once, police said. The second victim, a 21-year-old man, went to the Ferguson Police Department at 222 South Florissant Road after being shot, St. Louis County police Sgt. Benjamin Granda said. That man’s injuries were not thought to be life-threatening, Granda said.

The two were shot in the front yard of a home in the 8100 block of Martin Luther King. As many as 10 people may have witnessed the shooting, police said, and detectives are asking witnesses to come forward to help police find the killer.

One of the rapper’s associates told the Post-Dispatch that it was a drive-by shooting, and Granda said, “That possibility is being evaluated.”

Police released no details Friday about a possible motive. They also haven’t said whether they have any suspects.

Crime-scene tape was put up in an area that included a home on Martin Luther King Boulevard, which is east of Interstate 170 and south of Airport Road. The two-bedroom brick bungalow has white columns and a lion statue in front, and a tarp partly covering the roof. The home belonged to Franks’ family. Franks was a native of Kinloch who lived in a loft near Busch Stadium, in the 1100 block of Spruce Street.

His first manager, Enrico Washington, was a mentor and longtime friend who helped guide Franks’ music career. Another manager for the rapper called Washington about 4 a.m. Friday with news of the death.

“He enjoyed life,” Washington said. “Just happy about life. ... You’re talking about a young man who still had a lot of life to live.”

Franks was still earning royalties off the original hit single, Washington said. He was interested in building apartments and housing in St. Louis and had talked with Washington in recent years about becoming a businessman.

“Kinloch is no easy place to live,” Washington said. “It’s tough. But he was living the entrepreneurial spirit. He was doing it the right way.”

Post-Dispatch pop music critic Kevin C. Johnson wrote in 2013 that “Pop, Lock & Drop It” was the debut single from the rapper’s 2007 album “Notebook Paper,” and it flew straight into the top 10, making him one of a wave of St. Louis rappers finding popularity after Nelly and Chingy. His hit single was a party anthem at the time.

Franks attended Berkeley High School and McCluer High School before earning his GED. He has a teenage daughter, Lawryn.

In a 2007 story by Johnson, the rapper described his childhood as troubled.

“It was really rough,” said Franks, the youngest of four children. “My mama and daddy were on drugs. My brother was in and out of jail. The foster people were chasing me. It was crazy.”

In 2013, he had signed a deal with rapper Waka Flocka Flame, but not much materialized from that and Franks had been relatively quiet on the music scene in recent years. He was said to be filming a video this weekend. He had rented a mansion in south St. Louis County to film the video for a song called “Lap Dance.”

“My heart is hurt,” said Coolaid, a St. Louisan who was Franks’ current manager. “We were on the phone six, seven times yesterday. He was with his family. He was happy. He was excited about the video and about making a comeback. We believed this was the one.”

He added, “This senseless violence has got to stop.”

Kevin C. Johnson of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Kim Bell • 314-340-8115 @kbellpd on Twitter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Blues News

Breaking News

Cardinals News

Daily 6

National Breaking News