Subscribe for 99¢

ST. LOUIS • Brandi Hill had a 9-month-old daughter, a hot car and a heart full of hope.

“I want to be loved,” the 21-year-old wrote on Facebook recently. “I want a happy family I want all the good stuff.”

But her short life was taken Sunday night in an apparent carjacking on Washington Avenue in downtown St. Louis.

Hill, of O’Fallon, Mo., had written on Facebook about meeting friends in Fairground Park. Hours later, about 10:30 p.m., she was driving her red 2015 Dodge Challenger east on Washington with her daughter and a friend, who is pregnant.

Police said the car was stopped in traffic for a signal near 11th Street when two men walking west approached and demanded the car keys.

They dragged the passenger out through the right side door, police said, then shot Hill before one of them drove a short distance to 11th Street and dumped her out.

The second robber climbed in through the passenger side window.

They drove away, with the baby girl still inside.

Hill, left wounded in the middle of Washington, died at a hospital. Her friend was reported to be in stable condition at a hospital.

The baby, named Izzy, was later found unharmed at 22nd and Angelica streets, a few blocks east of Fairground Park. Police said the child had been tossed out, still in her car seat, and was found by a neighbor on the block. She is now in the care of relatives.

Police were searching Monday for the shooter and his accomplice. They provided no description of either man but did post a video they said shows the carjackers.

Police found the Challenger abandoned in an alley in the rear of the 1400 block of Bremen Avenue.

Hill’s passenger was at the scene on Washington when police arrived but was distraught and could not immediately provide a clear picture of what happened, said Police Chief Sam Dotson. She was placed on a stretcher and taken to a hospital.

Dotson said police officers had been within a block of Hill when she was shot.

Hill lived with her mother and sister in a two-story brick house on a picturesque suburban block in O’Fallon. Neighbors described the family as friendly and quiet, and expressed shock at Hill’s death.

Hill attended Fort Zumwalt West High School for three years before transferring to Fort Zumwalt South for her senior year about two years ago, said West Principal Neil Berry.

“Brandi was a really sweet girl,” Berry said Monday.

“She ran track and she had a lot of friends here, and when she transferred to South, she had friends in both places.”

She would frequently come back to visit and show off her daughter, Berry said. “She was just really bubbly and friendly, and the staff loved her. I knew Brandi well; this is very sad.”

Ashley Jost of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier version of this story gave incorrect information about where the child was dropped off.

Jeremy Kohler is an investigative reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.