Subscribe for 99¢

KNOB NOSTER, Mo. • A former commander at Whiteman Air Force Base will take forced retirement over several misconduct allegations.

Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets IV

Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets IV in an Air Force photo

Brig. Gen. Paul Tibbets IV will stop work on Oct. 19, and retire Dec. 1, according to Capt. Earon Brown, spokesman for the Air Force Global Strike Command

Brown says the Air Force began investigating in May 2017 after concerns were raised about Tibbets, who was commanding the 509th Bomb Wing near Knob Noster, Mo., at the time.

Brown says the investigation substantiated allegations against Tibbets, including making inappropriate comments, not reporting four suicide attempts, violating policy for use of a government vehicle and failure to report the value of autographed photos that celebrities had given him.

Tibbets left Whiteman in 2017 and is deputy commander of Air Force Global Strike Command in Barksdale, La.

Tibbets is a grandson of Paul W. Tibbets Jr., the pilot of the bomber that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima in 1945.

His forced retirement follows the ouster last year of the commander of Scott Air Force Base in St. Clair County, east of St. Louis. Col. John O. Howard was removed from command in December over sexual misconduct claims. Last month, he reached a deal with Air Force investigators to avoid court-martial, admitting misconduct involving a woman under his command from March 2016 through November 2017, shortly before he was relieved of command at Scott.

3 O'Clock Stir e-newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.