Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Tensions flare in Ferguson; more tear gas fired

Tensions flare in Ferguson; more tear gas fired

  • 0



Updated at 1:00 a.m. with comments from Missouri Highway Patrol

After many tense moments, including the deployment of tear gas, cooler heads seemed to be prevailing in Ferguson on early Tuesday morning.

At 12:30 a.m. police had issued a final warning to clear West Florissant, but several small groups still remained in the street.

At least 12 people were arrested in a truck at Canfield. Two pistols were found on those arrested, and a Molotov cocktail was found in the bed of their truck.

Capt. Ron Johnson of the Missouri Highway Patrol defended all the arrests in an interview on CNN. "The people we arrested tonight, they weren't being peaceful," he said.

Johnson said that there were two shooting victims on the night, and that both victims were shot by members of the crowd.


Earlier story: 11:55 p.m.

When protesters defied police orders to leave the parking lot of the burned-out QuikTrip, police fired tear gas Monday night after repeated warnings.

Just before midnight, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters shots had been fired at Canfield and told the media to go to the command center about a quarter-mile away.

The St. Louis County Police Chief, Jon Belmar, echoed Dotson, telling reporters to move back to the command post because of gunfire. 

Steven Hawkins, the executive director of Amnesty International, saw the tear gas being fired near QuikTrip. He said the police reacted when protesters wouldn't leave.

 He could not confirm whether protesters threw rocks at police, but said "even if a few rocks were thrown, it wouldn’t have made a difference. The police are in full body armor."

Shortly before midnight, police increased their efforts to clear some areas. They used loudspeakers to warn: "You need to disperse immediately. If you are credentialed media, move to your designated area. Do it now."

11:50 p.m, Steve Giegerich, Ken Leiser

Protests escalated again late Monday night as police fired tear gas at protesters who defied police by refusing orders to disperse, instead gathering in groups near the QuikTrip and other Ferguson spots.

 Police fired at least three tear gas volleys near the QuikTrip as emergency vehicles sped to the scene. Police also used tear gas to break up protesters near West Florissant and Northwoods Estates.

 "They're gassing our kids," one protester shouted.

 In front of the McDonald's restaurant, a tactical united removed a driver from his car at gunpoint. There was no immediate word on why. 

Some protesters also tipped over portable toilets and dragged them into the streets.

11:15 p.m, Steve Giegerich, Ken Leiser, Valerie Hahn

Tear gas fired again in Ferguson

Police fired tear gas on protesters near the QuikTrip late Monday night after they defied officers by gathering and refusing to disperse.

Police also forced a man out of his car at gunpoint about the same time they were firing tear gas.

The standoff at the burned-out convenience store had gone on for more than 20 minutes before the tear gas was deployed.

11:05 p.m. Steve Giegerich

Protesters defied police by gathering in large groups at several spots Monday night, including near the burned out QuikTrip and at West Florissant and Northwind Estates.

Police used a loudspeaker near the QuikTrip and warned about 100 protesters, "If you are standing around on the QuikTrip, you may be subject to arrest."

 At several points during the night, police warned off protesters by beating the pavement with their night sticks.

Police made some arrests during the night but no official tallies were released. Just before 11 p.m., reporters estimated that the number of protesters was down to about 100.

Valerie Hahn, Ken Leiser, Steve Giegerich, 10:45 p.m.


A peaceful night took a precarious turn just before 10 p.m. Monday in Ferguson as protesters threw bottles at police, who responded with orders for protesters to clear the streets and high-pitched sound cannons blaring.

Police ordered protesters, "Back off now!" and told them to clear the streets immediately.

Things turned tense when a group of protesters marched toward a police line and stopped, defying the night-long orders for all protesters to keep moving. Police put on their helmets and seemed prepared for a confrontation.

 An armored vehicle moved down the street trying to clear the crowd, and some pastors in the street stood with their arms locked trying to restore peace. They helped to move protesters away from the police line. 

 Pastor Michael McBride said he helped calm the protester before police deployed tear gas by talking to the protesters.

"We put our arms around them and whispered that we love them," he said.

10:10 p.m, Steve Giegerich, Valerie Hahn

Shools will stay closed all week

The Ferguson-Florissant School District announced Monday night that its schools would stay closed for the rest of the week.

 "We believe that closing schools for the rest of this week will allow needed time for peace and stability to be restored to our community," the district said in a statement.

 The district said it would hold the first day of classes on Monday, Aug. 25.

9:10 p.m. Monday, staff

As darkness fell Monday night, police increased their effort to keep protesters moving -- politely telling protesters they needed to keep moving.

One protester asked pointedly "Did they tell the people supporting the cop downtown to keep moving?" referring to a Sunday evening gathering in support of Officer Darren Wilson.

But the crowd, smaller than Sunday night, was staying on the sidewalk and obeying officers' orders to keep moving. At 9 p.m., the protests remained peaceful. 

 One protester was arrested in front of the McDonald's after 9 p.m., for failure to disperse, police said. When the officers walked him off, a group of protesters followed along.

Carmelita Wiliams came from Dellwood to join the protests. She said she plans to be out for as many nights as it takes.

"If one person is left, I want to be with that person," she said.

Another protester, Allysha Hamber, 42, asked how her sons can stand fight for America, "but I can't stand on sidewalk and protest?"

In a related development, a federal judge Monday night denied a motion by the American Civil Liberties Union for a temporary restraining order to stop police from requiring people to keep moving on sidewalks and thoroughfares in Ferguson unless they're gathered in a designated protest area.

8:20 p.m. Monday Steve Giegerich, Valerie Hahn, and Margaret Gillerman.

Press Club condemns treatment of journalists in Ferguson

 The Press Club of Metropolitan St. Louis on Monday condemned the treatment of journalists covering the Ferguson crisis and said they should be able to freely cover the news.

"We strongly condemn the manhandling and disrespect shown to our colleagues by authorities during the unfolding crisis in Ferguson, Mo.," the group said in a statement. "We believe these actions should cease, and that those responsible for maintaining order in Ferguson establish and enforce rules to assure the safety of our journalistic colleagues."

8 p.m, Margaret Gillerman

Police kept protesters on the move Monday night, telling anyone who stopped in a parking lot or street to keep moving.

Reporters were included in the keep-moving mandate by police, who shooed  them off the parking lot at the McDonald's restaurant. Police officers walking the scene carried riot gear and big sticks

Highway Patrol troopers on the scene had zip ties -- which are used as handcuffs -- attached to their belts. They told motorists driving through the area to be careful.

 Some protesters bought roses and bottled water from the Family Dollar store, then handed the roses out to peaceful demonstrators.

Valerie Hahn, Steve Giegerich, 7:40 p.m. Monday

Authorities prepare for another night of protests

Authorities in charge of security in Ferguson are preparing for another night of protests.

It comes after a day that saw the arrest of another journalist, this one captured on video. Meanwhile, Archbishop Robert Carlson has announced a special Mass this week for the people of Ferguson.

"We will not allow vandals, criminal elements to impact the safety and security of this community," Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ronald S. Johnson said during a brief press conference Monday afternoon. "We will not allow those elements disrupt, impact, the soul of this community."

Johnson introduced Missouri National Guard Brig. Gen. Gregory Mason, who will oversee the Missouri National Guard's efforts in the area. They were called in by the governor early Monday morning after another night of protests that turned violent.

Mason spoke briefly before a police chaplain said a short prayer at the microphones.

"We have well-trained and well-seasoned soldiers assigned to the command post here," Mason said. "Our soldiers have that as their main mission and they are well-equipped." 

Authorities are establishing an "organized protest zone" at Ferguson Road and West Florissant Avenue, St. Louis County police said. West Florissant was being closed to traffic. Authorities said the media would have access through road blocks.

Shortly after media were told of the "organized protest zone," authorities began setting up concrete highway barriers at checkpoints near the protest zone.

A crowd of several hundred protesters gathered at the intersection, and faced off a few feet from about 40 police officers and Missouri Highway Patrol troopers. One of the officers wore body armor, but the others were in everyday gear. The tense moment eventually eased.

In other developments today:

• The arrest of a photographer for Getty Images during the Ferguson protests was captured on video and posted online today.

The video shows Getty photographer Scott Olson being arrested by several officers and talking to the videographer as it happens.

"I'm being arrested because they said the media is required to be in a certain area," he says to the camera. Another officer can be heard off-camera telling the videographer, "Keep moving, keep moving, keep moving."

The Instagram video was posted by New York-based freelance journalist Amy K. Nelson.

• Archbishop Robert Carlson released a letter today announcing a special Mass dedicated to the people of Ferguson.

On Wednesday, Aug. 20, at 5 p.m., the Catholic faithful will celebrate a Mass for peace and justice at the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis.

“I have personally visited Ferguson and Michael Brown's memorial to offer my prayers for everyone affected by this tragedy,” Carlson said.

Carlson said that a special collection will be taken at the Mass to assist food pantries and parishes in the Ferguson area that offer assistance to those affected by looting and destruction of property.

Catholic schools will also offer a daily rosary for peace. Special intentions during all school Masses will also be dedicated to Ferguson. “Catholic Family Services, an agency of Catholic Charities, has made counselors available to any Catholic school that requests assistance,” Carlson said.

-Staff, 5:25 p.m.

Restrictions on news helicopters in Ferguson extended

 The Federal Aviation Administration extended flight restrictions for news helicopters over Ferguson through Sunday.  In its order, the agency cited the reason as "to provide a safe environment for law enforcement activities."

Staff, 6:20 p.m. Monday 

Obama on Ferguson: 'Let's seek to heal rather than wound each other'

President Barack Obama decried the violence and looting of some protesters in Ferguson and called for protests to be peaceful.

"We have all seen images of protesters and law enforcement in the streets. It’s clear that the vast majority of people are peacefully protesting. What’s also clear is that a small minority of individuals are not," he said. "While I understand the passions and the anger that arise over the death of Michael Brown, giving into that anger by looting or carrying guns, and even attacking the police only serves to raise tensions and stir chaos. It undermines rather than advancing justice."

Obama added: "Let's seek to heal rather than wound each other."

He also reiterated the right for people to peacefully protest without undue restrictions from authorities and said that constitutional rights must be vigilantly protected.

"There is no excuse for excessive force by police," he said.

Taking a two-day break from summer vacation, Obama huddled with top advisers at the White House Monday before speaking to the nation on developments in both Iraq and Ferguson, two trouble spots where Obama has ordered his administration to intervene.

Attorney General Eric Holder will travel to Ferguson on Wednesday, and Obama promised work "on the ground" from those in the Justice Department conducting a separate, independent civil rights investigation into Michael Brown's death. Sens. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., and Roy Blunt, R-Mo., plan to join him.

Asked about Nixon's activation of the Missouri National Guard, Obama said he had expressed an interest in making sure the National Guard was used in a limited and appropriate way.

"I spoke to Gov. Nixon about this, expressed an interest in making sure that if in fact the National Guard is used, it is used in a limited an appropriate way. he described the support role that they going to be providing to law enforcement," he said. "And I'll be watching over the next several days to assess whether, in fact, it's helping rather than hindering progress in Ferguson."

Holder said later Monday that more than 40 FBI agents continued their canvassing Monday of the neighborhood where Michael Brown was shot. As a result, they've conducted several more interviews. He also ordered an additional autopsy Monday.

He asked for patience as they complete their work, and promised integrity in the investigation.

"This is a critical step in restoring trust between law enforcement and the community, not just in Ferguson, but beyond," he said in a statement. He also called for an end to violence in Ferguson and said the selective release of sensitive information so far in this case has been troubling.

Staff and The Associated Press, 5:15 p.m. Monday.


New poll shows sharp racial, ideological divisions following Ferguson shooting death

WASHINGTON • A just-released Pew Research Center poll shows sharp divides between blacks and whites over the police shooting death of Michael Brown and what it means for race relations in America.

The poll of 1,000 adults was taken Thursday through Sunday. It showed that blacks (80 percent) are more than twice as likely as whites (37 percent) to believe the case raises important issues about race.

It also said that while 65 percent of blacks believe police response has gone "too far," only 33 percent of whites say so. Some 32 percent of whites say it has been about right, and 35 percent say they don't know. About 20 percent of blacks say the police response has been about right, with 15 percent saying they didn't know.

There are also ideological divisions. While 68 percent of Democrats say the 18-year-old Brown's killing and the aftermath raises important issues about race, 22 percent of Republicans and 40 percent of independents do.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.6 percentage points.

- Chuck Raasch, 5 p.m. Monday


Attorneys sue for police records of shooting

An attorneys' group is suing to try to get police records about the fatal shooting of Michael Brown.

The lawsuit filed Monday by the National Bar Association contends the Ferguson Police Department is in violation of the state open-records law for not releasing reports, videos and photos about the Aug. 9 shooting. It also seeks records related to Darren Wilson, the officer who shot Brown.

The National Bar Association calls itself "the nation's oldest and largest association of African American lawyers and judges." Benjamin Crump, the attorney who has emerged as the spokesman for the Brown family since the shooting, is the Association's vice-president for finance.

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson has said everything pertaining to the investigation of Brown's shooting is being handled by the St. Louis County Police Department.

But Jackson did release the officer's name last week, as well as police reports and surveillance video from a convenience store robbery in which Brown was a suspect.

- AP, 6 p.m.


Marchers demanding to get in Nixon's satellite office in downtown St. Louis

Security officers blocked the front door of the Wainwright building downtown as a crowd marching with the Organization of Black Struggle attempted to get into Gov. Jay Nixon's office this afternoon. They demanded a toning down of police tactics in Ferguson.

The group began marching to Nixon's satellite office in downtown St. Louis shortly after 3 p.m. after starting out from at Kiener Plaza, saying the activation of the National Guard will escalate the situation. They want the removal of Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson, the arrest of Darren Wilson, the officer who shot and killed Michael Brown, as well as the appointment of a special investigator.

"Hey-hey, ho-ho, National Guard has got to go!" the group shouted. An officer told the crowd that Nixon was not inside the building.  

About 75 protesters were sitting outside of the building as several officers on bike patrol monitored the crowd. Police put about eight people in plastic and metal cuffs, and the crowd began to move back to Kiener Plaza.

One of those arrested was Hedy Epstein, a 90-year-old Holocaust survivor and political activist.

She wore a black T-shirt that read, "Stay Human." She was one of several who led the march of protesters with a banner that, in part, read, don't shoot.

She walked the half block from Kiener Plaza to the state building and was in the front line of people who stood by the door leading. She was one of eight who were led away by police for failure to disperse from the front door of the building.

She told The Nation after her release, "I've been doing this since I was a teenager. I didn't think I would have to do it when I was 90."

-Nancy Cambria, 4:10 p.m.


Governor: No curfew tonight in Ferguson; National Guard will protect police command center

Gov. Jay Nixon said there will be no curfew tonight in Ferguson, where a rotating series of official responses to protests have failed to end looting and violence late at night.

The Missouri National Guard, called in early Monday by Nixon to help keep order in Ferguson, will be used to protect the police command center, the governor's office said.

Nixon said the guard's role will be limited to protecting the command center in the Westfall shopping center, formerly Northland, on West Florissant. Police officials said the command center was the destination of protesters who were met with tear gas Sunday evening.

"The Guard will concentrate its resources on carrying out this limited mission," Nixon said in a statement.

He also said, "I join the people of Ferguson, and all Missourians, in strongly condemning the violent acts we saw (Sunday) night, including the firing upon law enforcement officers, the shooting of a civilian, the throwing of Molotov cocktails, looting and a coordinated attempt to overrun the unified Command Center.

"We are all frustrated and looking for justice to be achieved regarding the shooting death of Michael Brown. As the dual investigations continue into what happened nine days ago at Canfield Green, we must defend Ferguson from these violent interlopers so that the peaceful protests can operate in peace and the search for answers and justice can continue.”

- Staff, 12:40 p.m. Monday


National Guard called in to help restore order

Gov. Jay Nixon announced early Monday morning that he was activating the National Guard to help restore order in Ferguson after a week of protests that have resulted in looting and violence some nights.

"Given these deliberate, coordinated and intensifying violent attacks on lives and property in Ferguson, I am directing the highly capable men and women of the Missouri National Guard to assist Colonel Ron Replogle and the Unified Command in restoring peace and order to this community.” the governor's executive order said.

At his press conference after another night of violent clashes with protesters, Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ronald S. Johnson said new security steps were planned but declined to detail them. In response to one of the few questions that were allowed, he said those plans were still in flux but did not include bringing in National Guard troops. But Nixon announced a short time later he would bring in those troops.

Governors have mustered National Guard soldiers to the St. Louis area for floods, heat waves and even a heavy snowstorm, but not street violence, at least not since World War II. In April 1968, then-Gov. Warren E. Hearnes sent more than 1,500 National Guard soldiers to Kansas City to assist police during a riot that broke out shortly after the murder of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King.

Johnson said the additional measures being put in place had been formulated in talks between himself, Nixon, St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson and Replogle, who is in charge of the Highway Patrol.

Johnson, who was put in control of security on the North County city's streets last week, blamed a small group of agitators for the night's violence that included shootings, molotov cocktails and lootings. He said he believed those who instigated the violence came to what had been a peaceful protest determined to "provoke a response."

Other law enforcement authorities said three people had been injured in shootings during the night. None of the shootings involved officers, authorities said. Police said seven or eight people were arrested on charges of failing to disperse.

Johnson detailed a night of violence that began about 8:25 with a shooting among the protesters. Next, he said, shots were fired at officers, Molotov cocktails thrown at police and businesses were looted.

At one point, he said, a McDonald's was overrun by protesters and the workers inside had to take shelter.

"Based on these conditions, I had no alternative but to elevate our response," Johnson said, referring to officers' push to clear the streets hours before the midnight curfew with measures that included the use of tear gas.

Replogle, interviewed about 2:30 a.m. on CNN, said of the decision to call in the National Guard: "We need some help."

He said larger and larger groups of protesters have been showing up on the streets of Ferguson since the fatal shooting last weekend of Michael Brown, 18, by a Ferguson police officer.

Replogle said the protesters who are resorting to violence "aren't residents of this city, we know that."

Authorities closed a one-half-mile stretch of West Florissant Avenue from Chambers Road on the north to Woodstock Road on the south "until further notice," but reopened it later this morning. Woodstock is just north of Lucas and Hunt Road. The gutted QuikTrip is nearly in the middle of the closed stretch.

- Staff, updated 11:45 a.m. Monday.


Two protesters arrested outside McDonald's

At about 2:30 p.m. police arrested two people who refused to keep moving in front of the McDonald's on West Florissant Avenue in Ferguson. They had been part of a large crowd of several dozen people who had been chanting and holding their hands up as they looped along the sidewalk, across the street along the sidewalk on the other side and back across to the McDonald's.

No protesters were standing in the street today. Cops have been making people hanging off of cars or hanging out of them get back inside.

- Paul Hampel, 3 p.m. Monday


Nation of Islam calls for demonstrators to leave Ferguson by sunset; groups decry use of National Guard

A representative of the Nation of Islam stood with other community organizers today in front of the police department and said they would be encouraging demonstrators to leave the area by sunset.

“We don't want a repeat of what happened last night,” said Akbar Muhammad, along with others, including representatives from the Universal African Peoples Organization and Black Lawyers for Justice at a press conference early this afternoon.

The leaders also said they disagreed with Gov. Jay Nixon's calling in of the Missouri National Guard, saying they feared it would make the situation worse instead of curbing violence that has occurred since the death of Michael Brown on Aug. 9.

Earlier, the group had asked demonstrators to abide the curfew imposed by police. Now, it's best if people leave by dark, leaders said.

The groups are in midst of planning their own demonstration. A time and location wasn't immediately announced, but organizers said they wanted to avoid the area of West Florissant Avenue, where all the chaos has occurred.

The Organization for Black Struggle also today decried the use of National Guard troops in Ferguson and called for an immediate de-escalation of law enforcement tactics.

“After a brief respite last week, police last night turned to violence again rather than community policing,” the group said in a statement. “The indiscriminate use of tear gas and rubber bullets, without warning, is unacceptable! The decision to call up the National Guard is only another step toward escalation of the situation.”

Members of the civil rights group said they will try to meet today with Gov. Jay Nixon.

-Lilly Fowler and Michael Sorkin, 1:45 p.m. Monday


Burned-out QuikTrip now off-limits

The burned-out QuikTrip that has become one of the main gathering points for protesters in Ferguson was put off-limits by police on Monday.

Law enforcement officers told protesters and reporters who stopped at the store's parking lot they needed to keep moving.

The store, which was burned in the riots on Aug. 10, has become a focal point of the unrest in Ferguson since Michael Brown, 18, was shot and killed by a police officer on Aug. 9.

- Paul Hampel and Laurie Skrivan, 12:15 p.m. Monday


Private autopsy shows Brown shot 6 times; distance from officer who fired unclear

A private autopsy requested by the family of Michael Brown showed he was shot at least six times, including a fatal shot to the skull, Dr. Michael M. Baden announced at a press conference Monday morning.

All bullets entered the front of his body; two shots hit Brown’s head and four hit his right arm. Some of the bullets caused multiple wounds as they entered, exited and re-entered parts of Brown's body, including his upper torso. One bullet entered near Brown's right eye and exited near his jawline before entering Brown's right shoulder, according to the private autopsy.

The St. Louis County medical examiner's office is releasing little information about their autopsy, conducted previously. Brown was shot multiple times and died of wounds to the head and chest, said Suzanne McCune, forensic administrator for the St. Louis County medical examiner's office. She would not release any toxicological information.

The medical examiner has sent its autopsy report regarding Brown’s death, including his toxicology screening, to St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch, McCune said. 

Baden said he determined in the private autopsy that all of the shots were survivable except one to the top of Brown's head that went into his brain.

The autopsy did not shed much light on how far Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson was from Brown when he shot the unarmed man. Because there was no gunshot residue on the body, it appears the muzzle of the gun was at least one or two feet away, Baden said. "It could have been 30 feet away," Dr. Baden says.

He was unable to examine Brown's clothing for gunshot residue.

Baden also said the number of gunshot wounds Brown sustained could have been released by authorities immediately. Baden said the family has a right to know this information and releasing it "calms community and family concerns over a coverup."

Baden said Dr. Mary Case, the chief medical examiner of St. Louis County, is "a very excellent forensic pathologist, and I'm sure her work will turn out to be very excellent when it's released. But it hasn't been released yet and the family wants to know."

Baden said letting the family know that a bullet wound to the brain causes immediate loss of consciousness can be helpful to the grieving family in trying times. He said it appears Brown did not suffer.

Read more here.

- Staff, 10:30 a.m. Monday


City of Ferguson hires PR help

The City of Ferguson has hired a Chesterfield-based public relations firm to handle the crush of media requests.

The 21,000 person city, which has been plunged into a crisis after the fatal shooting death of Michael Brown, on Monday began directing all questions to Common Ground PR. The PR firm includes a specialty in "crisis management."

"Common Ground Public Relations helps organizations prepare and respond to crises affecting their operations as well as their reputation," the company's website says. "We believe that safeguarding a company’s reputation and its bottom line requires crisis-related public relations strategies that include media relations, social and online outreach, community outreach and third-party collaborations. We can help with preparation, training, in-the-midst support, and the re-establishment of trust after the storm."

-Nick Pistor, 2:30 p.m. Monday


More than a dozen injured during Sunday evening protests

SSM DePaul Health Center treated 12 people following the Ferguson demonstrations Sunday, the most injuries any hospital has reported during one night since the protests began.

Two gunshot victims were treated and released Sunday night at DePaul, Spokeswoman Jamie Sherman said. Another 10 patients were treated for injuries sustained after a high-speed chase with police.

Sherman said it's unclear if all 10 individuals were in the same vehicle.

Four remained at the hospital as of Monday morning. Their conditions were not available, but the hospital said they were stable.

Getting to those injured has become difficult for first responders, and has caused a shift in strategy, Chris Cebollero, chief of EMS for Christian Hospital, said.

His crews now park in “staging areas” where they wait for the injured to be brought to them.

“Early on we had some challenges with folks attacking the ambulance and we needed to make sure that our folks stayed safe,” Cebollero said.

Now the ambulance crews have become part of incident command alongside officers. At least one ambulance is on site continuously after about 6 p.m., Cebollero said.

The majority of injuries being treated by Cebollero's crews are not life-threatening, he said. There was a man beaten unconscious early on, but since then Cebollero said most individuals are being treated at the scene and then released from care.

It seems that those with more serious injuries are getting to the hospitals on their own, he said.

Read more here.

- Samantha Liss, noon Monday


Cleanup begins as morning light reveals looted stores

By 6 o'clock this morning, traffic was moving in front of the looted Dellwood Market and the McDonalds restaurant, where broken windows were not yet cleaned up or boarded up. Employees of the restaurant began showing up before dawn and had the restaurant open for business by 6:30 a.m.

Some protesters were on the scene, including Mauricelm-Lei Millere, 41, of Washington, D.C. He said he is with the New Black Panther Party.

Millere said any trouble was started by "provocateurs who are trying to destroy this."

Malik Rhasan, 42, of Atlanta, said he came to Ferguson under the belief that the St. Louis suburb was a town on fire. "I was proud of the youth last night, and very disappointed by the police," Rhasan said.

Mayor Reggie Jones of Dellwood said the market on Chambers Road wasn't the only city business hit; he's checking a pizza store and auto parts store.

"Our city isn't included in this, but we've been dragged into it because we are so close," he said.

Virgil Smith, 48, of Florissant was driving by this morning when he saw the broken storefront window at Rehoboth Pharmacy, at 9944 West Florissant Avenue. He stopped and was helping sweep up the glass, saying he felt he needed to do something.

"At least in Iraq you know who enemy is," said Smith, who spent 20 years in the Air Force. "Here you never know. They are all blended in with the community."

The owner, Idowu Ajibola, was doing an inventory to see what was swiped. They took some pain medication and Xanax, he said. They also stole hair products.

To replace the glass will probably cost $6,000, Ajibola says, "and what they took is probably just 10 percent of that."

He figures they didn't get more because he had turned off all the security lights inside the store when the rioting began and the looters couldn't see what was inside, the owner said.

Police are looking for blood inside the pharmacy to try to find the culprits through DNA.

- Kim Bell, 6:40 a.m. Monday


Brown's mother: Peace will follow justice – including the arrest of officer

Michael Brown's mother, Lesley McSpadden, appeared on Good Morning America Monday and was asked how peace can be restored in Ferguson.

"With justice," she told the show's Robin Roberts.

And what does justice look like?

"Arresting (the police officer who shot Brown) and making him accountable for his actions," she said.

McSpadden also said she had spoken with Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ronald S. Johnson, who is in charge of security in Ferguson, at a vigil at a church Sunday.

"He had a heartfelt message for me, and that was that that could have been his son," she said.

- Staff, 8:50 a.m. Monday

Download the Post-Dispatch news app

Tim O'Neil is a reporter at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Contact him at 314-340-8132 or

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story