Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Updates from May 31 into June 1: Police fire tear gas at Ferguson protesters, six arrests mark another night of protests

Updates from May 31 into June 1: Police fire tear gas at Ferguson protesters, six arrests mark another night of protests

  • 0

UPDATED at 6 a.m. Monday

Police use tear gas on protesters in Ferguson and arrest three protesters in Richmond Heights, and more businesses are vandalized across the St. Louis area during a fourth night of protests stemming from the death of a black man in police custody in Minneapolis. Here are updates from the region's protests.

3:10 a.m.  — FERGUSON — St. Louis County police report making six arrests from late Sunday into early Monday morning in Ferguson. Police say two officers suffered minor injuries — one was hit by fireworks and the other was hit by a rock. Both officers were treated at the scene. One police car in Ferguson was damaged by a Molotov cocktail, and several Ferguson businesses were damaged, police said.

12: 30 a.m. — FERGUSON — A dumpster fire burns for about 10 minutes near a laundromat in the 700 block of South Florissant Road. Firefighters eventually extinguish the flames. 

11:45 p.m — FERGUSON — As protests wind down, the cleanup gets started. At the Ferguson brewery, workers are removing shards of glass from broken windows.

11:36 p.m. — FERGUSON — Police order protesters to leave the area near the Ferguson Brewing Co. after someone threw a Molotov cocktail at a police car.  

10:59 p.m. — FERGUSON — Protesters drag a portable traffic stand into the street, tip it over and attack it. They also damage the windows of Ferguson Brewing Co.

10:32 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS — At least three protesters are under arrest after fireworks were thrown at police officers. Much of the crowd scattered. At Wilson Lighting on Brentwood Boulevard, some of the windows were broken out as well. 

10:25 p.m. — FERGUSON — Police and protesters are clashing after protesters surrounded a police car. Officers fired a second round of tear gas at protesters, St. Louis County police said, and were investigating reports of shots fired at officers. Throngs of protesters fled as the tear gas was fired, but not before some of them suffered the effects of the gas.

10:10 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS – Fireworks are thrown at police officers who scattered protesters by charging toward them. But no arrests have been reported so far, although officers issued a warning that protesters had five minutes to disperse before arrests are made. Officers from St. Louis County and several municipalities, including Normandy, are on the scene. There's also a heavy police presence along Brentwood Boulevard. 

9:50 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS — Protesters are blocking Brentwood Boulevard and screaming at police officers, who have made no arrests. About 60 to 70 protesters are on the scene after a small group left, shouting that they were headed to Ferguson. Many of the Richmond Heights group have moved toward the Boulevard Shopping Center, across from the Galleria. 

9:20 p.m. — FERGUSON — Police officers fire tear gas at protesters outside the Police Department after fireworks were thrown at officers and the crowd had been told they were an unlawful assembly. One officer suffered minor burns from the fireworks, St. Louis County Police said. 

9 p.m. — FERGUSON — Protesters are throwing fireworks near the Ferguson Police Department as the crowd is growing more raucous. Officers have been ordering protesters to disperse after rocks also were thrown at officers and protesters moved the fence barricade. More than an hour past the 8 p.m. curfew, St. Louis County police are calling it an "unlawful assembly" and announcing that to the crowd.

8:40 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS — Protesters are squaring off with police officers on Clayton Road outside the Galleria. The protesters backed up after several dispersal warnings. Protesters squaring off with police on Clayton Road outside the Galleria, police officers backed up protesters across the road after several dispersal warnings. Some of the officers are wearing shields and helmets.

8:20 p.m. — FERGUSON — A few dozen protesters passed the barricades outside the police department. Some officers have come out of the building wearing helmets and holding shields. On a nearby street corner, protesters have stacked water and milk, which is used to rinse tear gas from people's faces. St. Louis County Police said they were assisting Ferguson officers, who are giving verbal warnings to people in the crowd throwing things at officers.

8:15 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS — Police are ordering demonstrators to disperse from Clayton Road in front of the St. Louis Galleria. 

7:40 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS — All entrances to the St. Louis Galleria mall are barricaded and blocked off to vehicle traffic with a heavy police presence in the area. 

7:15 p.m. — FERGUSON — A crowd of about 100 people are marching down Florissant Road, causing traffic to back up. Mayor James Knowles declared a state of emergency earlier Sunday, setting a curfew from 8 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. Monday. The crowd is chanting "Don't shoot" and "George Floyd."

7:10 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS — Police officers in riot gear are patrolling the Police Department from a small band of protesters. No conflicts have erupted in the early evening. 

6:30 p.m. — RICHMOND HEIGHTS — At least 50 protesters are gathered near the Richmond Heights Police Department and have begun to shut down Big Bend Boulevard. National Guard Humvees are on the scene, and police have ordered protesters to disperse. At least one fist fight broke out between a motorist and protesters in front of the police station. Some of the protesters invoked the name of Terry Tillman, the 23-year-old man who was shot and killed outside the Galleria by a Richmond Heights police officer on Aug. 31, 2019.

Protesters have also begun to gather peacefully near the Ferguson Police Department.

11:45 a.m. — Target has adjusted its list of stores that will temporarily close across the country, removing several. The stores in St. Louis that the company previously said would close will remain open, according to the list. Read more.

9 a.m. — Scattered volunteers were sweeping the sidewalks in Ferguson Sunday morning. Beauty World, at 110 South Florissant Road, appeared to be one of the hardest-hit businesses.

The business was looted, and a damaged sprinkler head flooded the storefront and basement.

Looters also hit the business during the unrest after the Darren Wilson grand jury decision in November 2014. The owner, Su Lee, repaired and restocked the store, reopening in February 2015 with the help of her insurance policy and donations. Read more.

4:50 a.m. — St. Louis County police said that seven officers were injured by rocks, bottles or fireworks. Three had to be taken to hospitals for treatment; their injuries were described as "non-life threatening."

At least 11 police and fire vehicles were damaged; one was shot at.

Officers made no arrests. Read more.

Updates from Saturday, May 30


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.



Blues News

Breaking News

Cardinals News

Daily 6

National Breaking News