Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Man shot by police in Ferguson after he fired at officers, police say

Man shot by police in Ferguson after he fired at officers, police say


UPDATED at 7 a.m. with more information about overnight violence.

FERGUSON • A peaceful day of protest and remembrance dissolved into chaos late Sunday when a man fired multiple shots at four St. Louis County plainclothes detectives in an SUV. The detectives fired back and the shooter was struck, said county Police Chief Jon Belmar. He was in critical condition.

Tyrone Harris identified the victim as his son, Tyrone Harris Jr., 18, of St. Louis. Harris said shortly after 3 a.m. that his son had just gotten out of surgery.

He said his son graduated from Normandy High School and that he and Michael Brown Jr. "were real close."

"We think there's a lot more to this than what's being said," Harris Sr. said.

In a 2:30 a.m. press conference, Belmar said there is a "small group of people out there that are intent on making sure we don't have peace that prevails. 

"We can't sustain this as a community," he said.

Belmar said two groups of people exchanged gunfire on the west side of West Florissant Avenue at the same time the shooting took place, shortly after 11 p.m. Shots were heard for 40-50 seconds, Belmar said. "It was a remarkable amount of gunfire," he said.

The people doing the shooting "were criminals," Belmar said. "They were not protesters."

Investigators recovered a 9 mm Sig Sauer that had been stolen in Cape Girardeau, Belmar said.

Protesters had blocked West Florissant Avenue north of Ferguson Avenue, and the detectives were tracking a man they believed was armed, along with several of his acquaintances, whom they also thought were armed.

In a chaotic scene, police officers, reporters and protesters ran for cover. People sprinted across the street and dived behind parked cars.

Fox2: Raw video as shots are fired

The four detectives, who have six to 12 years of experience, will be placed on administrative leave, a standard practice after a police-involved shooting. They were not wearing body cameras, Belmar said.

A coalition calling itself the Ferguson Action Council criticized St. Louis County for putting plainclothes officers without body cameras in Ferguson. The coalition includes the Don't Shoot Coalition, Hands Up United, Organization for Black Struggle and others. In a news release Monday morning, the coalition said in part: "After a year of protest and conversation around police accountability, having plain clothes officers without body cameras and proper identification in the protest setting leaves us with only the officer’s account of the incident, which is clearly problematic."

Ferguson’s interim police chief, Andre Anderson, had just finished a television interview saying officers were placed throughout the community to protect businesses, and he was hoping to be patient and allow the protesters to march peacefully.

The law enforcement officers had threatened to arrest protesters who stayed in the street. Protesters by then were estimated at fewer than 100 and were outnumbered by members of the media, observers said.

Early Monday morning, police warned those gathered by Canfield that they needed to disperse or police could use "chemical munitions" against them. Smoke bombs appeared to be fired at about 2 a.m.

At 2:15 a.m., two teenagers were shot in a drive-by shooting near the Michael Brown Jr. memorial on Canfield Drive. The victims, ages 17 and 19, were hospitalized and expected to survive. The gunman was riding in a passenger car and opened fire on them, police say.

Three St. Louis County police officers were injured Sunday night or early Monday while working in Ferguson, authorities said. Two were pepper-sprayed by protesters while a third was hit in the face by a rock thrown at him. That officer was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Two unmarked police vehicles were damaged by gunfire and one unmarked vehicle was damaged in a minor accident. Four arrests were made early Monday. One was a man now facing weapons charges. Three were people accused of interfering with police.


The violence came exactly one year after the police shooting of Michael Brown. But the day was mostly peaceful with about 1,000 people gathering at the spot in the Canfield Green apartment complex before embarking on a “silent march” with Brown’s family members up West Florissant Avenue.

“We came because it’s still needed,” said Dumine DePorres, who was among a group of 15 people who traveled from Detroit for Ferguson-related events this weekend. “We need to start some conversations that are not just one way, about justice,” he said.

The marchers, whose number swelled to more than 1,000 just after noon Sunday, were silent during the 1.5-mile walk up West Florissant Avenue and across Chambers Road to Greater St. Mark Family Church out of respect for Brown, said James Evans Muhammad of Black Educators and Lawyers for Justice.

About 300 people gathered inside the church late Sunday afternoon following the march for a community service.

Riding just ahead of the march in a four-wheeler with Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ronald S. Johnson, Belmar praised marchers. “Everybody understands we’re in this together,” Belmar said.

Many marchers held signs, including several that said “Stop killing black children,” and “we remember Mike Brown.”

During an hourlong event in Brown’s memory before the march, the crowd observed 4½ minutes of silence around noon, then counted down 30 seconds before the release of several white doves. About a dozen people, including his father, Michael Brown Sr., spoke about the shooting and the calls for reform that followed. He also thanked his friends and family and others who gathered. “I just want to give my love out to you all,” he said.

During the gathering, the mood began as relaxed and chatty, with music played over a loudspeaker, but turned more serious as the program began near a memorial to Brown set in the street on Canfield Drive, a short distance off West Florissant Avenue. Several dozen stuffed animals were arranged in a line as a tribute to Brown, alongside balloons and candles.

One speaker, Yonasda Lonewolf, declared: “Mike Brown was murdered here. This was the epicenter of the movement of ‘black lives matter.’ We still cannot get justice.” She added, “It’s time for us to not seek justice but to demand justice.” Lonewolf is the granddaughter of Minister Louis Farrakhan, leader of the Nation of Islam.

Others included the daughter of Eric Garner, whose killing by New York police provoked protests there.

Another activist, Brittany “Bree” Newsome, who received national attention in June by climbing a flagpole near the South Carolina Capitol to take down a Confederate battle flag, told the crowd: “All I did when I climbed up that pole is remember the courage here in Ferguson.”

Several hundred people gathered Sunday night to talk about the role of the black church moving forward at Greater St. Mark Family Church, at 9950 Glen Owen. The Rev. Traci Blackmon told the crowd that there are two purposes for the church. One is to tell the truth, the other is to care for those who cannot care for themselves. “If those things are not happening, you are not the church,” she said.

Princeton University Professor Cornell West said, “the Christian Church has been an abysmal failure” when it comes to helping poor, black and working people.

He criticized multiple institutions, including police, public schools and financial institutions.

During a torrential rain storm about 9 p.m. Sunday, several people broke the door on Bowen’s Beauty Supply. The cash register was stolen and dumped in the parking lot. About a dozen Missouri State Highway Patrol and police cars responded.

Post-Dispatch reporter Paul Hampel was beaten and robbed while covering the protests Sunday night. He was not seriously injured.

Shortly before Sunday’s program on Canfield, the sun broke through an overcast sky, more closely matching conditions of Aug. 9, 2014, when the shooting of Brown, an unarmed black 18-year-old, by white Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson ignited a national backlash over race and policing. Separate investigations by a St. Louis County grand jury and the U.S. Department of Justice found no cause to charge Wilson in Brown’s death.

St. Louis Alderman Antonio French, a prominent figure in the protest movement here, said before the program, “It’s an opportunity to see how far we have come in the last 365 days.” He noted that a large part of the crowd was white.

The toll of heat and humidity on Sunday’s crowd was apparent, with many fanning themselves, and one stricken woman lying under the shade of a tree to recover.

A drive-by shooting occurred near a march after Sunday’s ceremony but did not appear to be related, according to Jack Webb of the St. Louis County police. A man was wounded in the foot about 1:45 p.m. in the 9600 block of Glen Owen Drive.

It occurred along what would have been the back route from the gathering on Canfield Drive to a service planned at Greater St. Mark Family Church. But the marchers took a longer route, up West Florissant Avenue to Chambers Road to Glen Owen.

A witness told police that seven to nine shots were fired from a passing car. The victim’s wound was not believed to be life-threatening.

Twitter video of the site of the shooting

Shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday, police arrested a man and woman in a green Pontiac that fit the wanted car’s description, after a pursuit that started in Hillsdale culminated in the 3900 block of Washington Avenue in St. Louis. A toddler in that car was turned over to family members.

Also Sunday, county police announced charges against Trevion Hopson, 17, in connection with the wounding of a man at a Brown-related gathering in Ferguson about midnight Saturday. The victim, 22, told officers he was hit while standing outside a strip mall in the 9100 block of West Florissant.

About the same time that the man was shot, the rear window of an unmarked Florissant police vehicle was shattered as it traveled south on West Florissant in the same area.

County officers quickly arrested Hopson in the 9200 block of Ellison Drive. Prosecutors charged him Sunday with unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest. Hopson, of the 8700 block of Boyce Place in Jennings, was held in lieu of $100,000 cash-only bail.

Officials said Hopson, who attended the protest for the anniversary, carried a firearm in his backpack, fired at a “specific target” and also fired several shots into the crowd as people ran, then replaced the weapon in the backpack and ran. Officers chased him down and recovered a gun and backpack.

WATCH: The march from Canfield to Normandy High School

WATCH: Hundreds march for VonDerrit Myers in Shaw

WATCH: Video from Saturday’s protest at the Ferguson Police Department

WATCH: The Black Scholars National Gathering, lessons from black lives conference

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Tim Bryant is a reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.



Blues News

Breaking News

Cardinals News

Daily 6

National Breaking News