Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Police use stun guns, pepper spray on protesters downtown; banner unfurled at Cardinals-Brewers game

Police use stun guns, pepper spray on protesters downtown; banner unfurled at Cardinals-Brewers game


ST. LOUIS • Protesters in Busch Stadium Friday night unfurled a banner at the Cardinals-Brewers game with a rendition of the Cardinals' mascot and the words: "Stop Killing Us." 

That incident was followed later by a incident between protesters and police at Broadway and Walnut, where one demonstrator was seen being tased by an officer. 

It wasn't immediately clear what precipitated the incident. When other protesters confronted police at the scene, another officer was seen spraying pepper spray at them.

Shortly before 10 p.m., police gave the order to disperse, and the crowd moved away from the intersection and began marching north on Broadway. Police later confirmed "at least" two arrests.

The demonstrations came two weeks after the acquittal of a white police officer in the shooting death of a black suspect.

Earlier Friday night, more than 100 protesters were marching east on Market, blocking traffic at Eighth Street shortly before 8 p.m. Marchers then converged on Busch stadium, where they faced police behind barricades.

Protesters posted a video showing the unfurling of the sign inside the ballpark, where demonstrators shouted, "No justice, no baseball!"

St. Louis Cardinals v Milwaukee Brewers

Protesters hang a banner over the railing in the left field upper deck seats in the second inning during a game between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Milwaukee Brewers on Friday, Sept. 29, 2017, at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. The text on the banner read "Racism Lives Here," "#Expect Us" and "Stop Killing Us." Photo by Chris Lee,

By 9:30 p.m., the group had been ushered out of the stadium by police and joined almost 200 gathered at Kiener Plaza, with police watching from nearby. From there, they marched to Broadway and Walnut, where the confrontation took place with police in riot gear.

As the game let out close to 10 p.m., some of the game attendees argued with some of the protesters. 

The protests are the latest sparked by a not-guilty verdict in the murder trial of former St. Louis patrolman Jason Stockley Sept. 15. Stockley, who is white, shot and killed drug suspect Anthony Lamar Smith, who was black, in 2011, after a high-speed chase in which Stockley was recorded saying he intended to kill him. The verdict has since sparked multiple demonstrations, some of them violent, and scores of arrests.

—Nassim Benchaabane and Kevin McDermott of the Post-Dispatch staff contributed to this report.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News


National News