Subscribe for 99¢

A downtown landmark for roughly 30 years, Mike Shannon’s Steaks and Seafood will close its doors on Jan. 30, Mike Shannon announced Saturday night.

The longtime Cardinals player and broadcaster said that with the close of the namesake restaurant at 620 Market Street, the company will be focusing on its Mike Shannon’s Grill locations in Edwardsville and at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, and on its Mike Shannon brands, including such items as wine and barbecue sauce.

Shannon said, “I’ve had a great 30-year run down here. It’s been wonderful, but we’re moving forward.”

The first Mike Shannon’s restaurant, several blocks north of the current location, was open for about 20 years, with the Market Street restaurant open since 2006.

Shannon owns 70 percent of the restaurant, and his daughter, Pat, owns the other 30 percent.

“You think of all the celebrities we’ve had in here: Baseball players. Movie stars. It’s been unbelievable,” said Mike Shannon.

“It’s not sadness. It’s been a celebration. It was everything that I wanted it to be, a place that people could enjoy before and after the games. And they did.”

Shannon, who owns the building, said, “The building is for sale, and we’ll see what transpires.”