Subscribe for 99¢

UPDATED at 10:45 a.m. Monday with additional detail on the two women arrested

Rams fans and Ferguson protesters fought Sunday afternoon outside the Edward Jones Dome after the Rams secured a victory over the visiting Seattle Seahawks.

About 3 p.m. Sunday, a handful of fans argued with protesters, who were yelling and chanting, near the intersection of North Broadway and Cole streets. The yelling escalated, a fan appeared to spit on one of the protesters and he was then struck on the head, at which point a melee ensued and punches were thrown.

St. Louis police arrested two protesters. One was a 49-year-old woman. The other was her 17-year-old daughter. Police did not release the names of the women.

The older woman was arrested on suspicion of two counts of second-degree assault. She also was arrested for one count of third-degree assault after punching a woman, 55, in the eye. The victim was treated by paramedics at the scene.

The 17-year-old was booked on suspicion of two counts of third-degree assault. Police say she spit in the face of a man, 47, and then punched him in the eye. She also spit in the face of another man, 35. That happened nearly 20 minutes after the initial confrontation. 

The mother and daughter who were arrested are black. All of the victims are white, police say.

The clash happened between two groups of about 20 to 25 people each, police say. The protesters were part of the Michael Brown protest upset with the fatal shooting in Ferguson on Aug. 9. Some in the protest crowd carried signs that read, "Justice for Mike Brown" and "Indict Darren Wilson." Wilson is the officer who shot him, and a grand jury is considering the case.

As the Rams fans were leaving the game, the protesters were chanting, "The whole damn system is guilty as hell." Yelling between the two groups escalated into a melee, and punches were thrown.

At one point during the scuffle, a protester carrying an upside-down American flag used the pole as a weapon, attempting to jab a fan with the pole. A short time later, after the initial confrontation, a different fan grabbed the flag and ran with it for a brief period; protesters then wrestled the flag back. 


EDITOR'S NOTE:  This restores the earlier version that included a fan appearing to spit on one of the protesters as the melee began.


Samantha Liss is a business reporter at the Post-Dispatch. Follow her on Twitter @samanthann and the business section @postdispatchbiz