Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Firefighters, paramedics rescue dogs from St. Charles house fire
Fire

Firefighters, paramedics rescue dogs from St. Charles house fire

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}
Paramedic treats injured dog
Paramedic Heather Schoppenhorst uses pet oxygen masks to treat two dogs that were injured in a house fire in St. Charles on Dec. 15, 2010. (St. Charles County Ambulance District photo)

ST. CHARLES •  Firefighters and paramedics rescued two dogs from a fire in St. Charles this morning.

The fire started before 11:30 a.m. in the 1400 block of North Third Street. No one was home at the time, but firefighters pulled two dogs out of the residence.

Martin Limpert, a spokesman for the St. Charles County Ambulance District, said Angel, a Jack Russell terrier puppy, had significant burns on one side. Buzz, a small, mixed-breed terrier, had burns on his back.

Firefighters brought the dogs to an ambulance, where they were put on oxygen. They were unconscious for about 15 minutes.

A St. Charles resident donated pet oxygen masks to the St. Charles Fire Department earlier this year. Firefighters gave the masks to paramedics for use with the dogs.

Buzz and Angel were taken to St. Charles Animal Hospital. Buzz was wagging his tail, Limpert said. Angel needed immediate attention.

Veterinarian Mike Crecelius began treatment, and both dogs were showing signs of recovery, Limpert said.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Trending

Blues News

Breaking News

Cardinals News

Daily 6

National Breaking News

Sports