Look Back 0414

The main Post Office, 1720 Market Street, is built on a parcel that once was the site of Winkelmeyer Brewery. The cellars that were exposed during demolition in December 1934 had been storage rooms, kept cool by underground springs. Builders of the new $4.5 million Post Office had to divert the springs. The photo was taken from the city's previous main post office, just to the south at 18th and Walnut streets. The earlier one was demolished when the current one was finished in 1937. (Post-Dispatch)