Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Final solution on hold in gulf

Point man Allen takes cautious approach before giving OK to commence 'bottom kill.

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

NEW ORLEANS • The government's point man for the gulf oil spill said Wednesday he cannot provide a timeline right now for when BP's blown-out well will finally be plugged for good.

Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen told reporters he will give the order to complete the so-called relief well when he is ready. Since nearly the start of the disaster in April, the plan had been to complete the relief well by early to mid-August. But stormy weather and now questions of how to make the job less risky have delayed that process.

Allen said BP still needs to come up with a plan to alleviate pressure that may build up once the relief well intersects the blown-out well.

"We will know when we have satisfied ourselves and we have removed any shadow of doubt," Allen said when asked at what point he would give the order to move forward. He said the pause is "nothing more than an overabundance of caution and doing our jobs."

Ultimately, the plan is to pump mud and cement in from the bottom to plug the well permanently, a procedure known as a bottom kill. The well blew out when the offshore drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20, killing 11 workers and setting off one of the worst offshore oil spills in history.

A cap has kept oil from flowing for more than a month, but that's just a temporary solution. Mud and cement was later pumped in through the top of the well, significantly reducing the pressure inside it. But the government believes the bottom kill procedure is necessary to declare the well dead once and for all.

John Wright, who has been leading the team drilling the relief well aboard a rig at the well site, said, "I was told they are working through risk and contingency plans and would let me know when they were ready to start again."

Feinberg taking over • Kenneth R. Feinberg, the mediator who next week will take over from BP a $20 billion fund for oil spill compensation claims, pledged a new, responsive regime that would speed up review of applications from fishermen, tourism businesses and other victims and pay out emergency relief for those who can document losses.

"If you file an eligible claim and document it, we guarantee to process personal claims in 48 hours," he said.

NOAA defends report • National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration chief Jane Lubchenco said she stands by the conclusions of a government report that found 74 percent of the oil had been captured, burned, skimmed, evaporated, dissolved or dispersed. Scientists from the universities of South Florida and Georgia said they have found that most of the oil is not gone.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

Trending

National News

News