After Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown, the protests, fueled by social media, continued for weeks and spread across the country. Here, from the epicenter, is the story of Ferguson.
The Ferguson protests showed people were fed up with how police and the courts treated them. And the focus soon zeroed in on the municipal courts. What were the issues, what's been done and what's to come?
- August 10: Officer kills Ferguson teen
- August 11: Day of Protests, Night of Frenzy
- August 12: Calls for justice
- August 13: Outcry and resolve
- August 14: A city on edge
- August 15: Unifying force?
- August 16: Storm after calm
- August 17: Curfew defied
- August 18: Chaos and clashes
- August 19: Streets flare up
- August 20: A day of recovery
- August 21: Grand jury convenes
- August 22: A cooling off
- August 23: Riding out the storm
- August 24: Out of balance
- August 25: 'A Day of Silence'
- August 26: A time to mourn
Local leaders hired a marketing firm to come up with something to replace ‘Community of Choice’ strung over an old train depot.
Among the police missteps: shielding officers from accountability, violating free-speech rights and antagonizing crowds with military-style tactics.