Regarding the editorial "Missouri businesses should have a right to require proof of vaccination" (April 18): There are always going to be anti-vax ignoramuses out there, however, here are some reasons they are hesitant:
• People don't know it's free and are afraid to be hit with a big medical bill later.
• Health care systems are asking for health insurance information when people sign up for an appointment, which is making people jump off the internet portal like a scalded cat. SSM and Mercy, I'm looking at you.
• Some are afraid it gives the health care provider an opportunity to collect on past due medical bills.
• Undocumented people might be worried that Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents would track them down when they register.
• Some workers have heard horror stories about how sick they could get from the vaccine, and they can't afford to miss a day of work.
These are all problems that could have been avoided with a coordinated national rollout. The incompetence of Missouri's state government officials has been glaring, and these scenarios are prolonging the crisis.