COMMENTS: Can't believe you're surprised that the fans are in a foul mood today. I have been watching the team for 50 years and they are without a doubt the following things:
1. Worst defensive team the Cards have ever fielded
2. Worst hitting team this organization has ever fielded.
3. Worst bullpen this team has ever fielded.
4. Worst manager they have ever employed.
5. Worst GM they have ever had.
6. Worst roster they ever put together.
7. Worst use of $140 million in MLB history
GOOLD: I'm never surprised when the chat bends angry or mad or foul. It tends to be the medium, right? My take on your points:
1. That's not true. We saw that team a few years ago.
2. It's not good, but it's not the worst. Some bad teams in the past, pal.
3. Not true. Jordan Hicks exists.
4. You're going to have a hard time making this argument when people will just throw up the brick wall of winning percentage and use that to bat away your assertion or questions.
5. History suggests otherwise. Girsch doesn't even have a year in the role.
6. It's not even the worst roster I've covered.
7. The is empirically untrue. The San Francisco Giants spent $181 million on last year's team, and as a result got a club that wowed the world with a ... oh, no, they went 64-98. They finished 40 games out of first place. Forty games, man.
I expect the chat to be a little caustic week to week, especially after a loss like Monday's to a better team, like Milwaukee. That tends to put a cul-de-sac of Cardinals Nation off the axis because success from another team in the NL Central and a smaller market cannot be stood for, nope, nope, nope. But if it's going to be caustic and you're going to bring the anger and barbed criticism -- against the team, against me, against the coverage, whatever -- at least have your feet firmly planted in facts. Thanks.