The Cardinals revealed the list of 16 non-roster players it will be inviting to spring training camp. The group is featured by Texas League batting champion Oscar Taveras, who played for league champion Springfield last season; second baseman Kolten Wong, the team’s top draft pick in 2011 who also played at Class AA Springfield; and righthanded pitcher Michael Wacha, the 2012 No. 1 pick who skyrocketed through the system to wind up at Springfield.
Taveras is the No. 1-rated prospect in the Cardinals farm system, which has been rated MLB's best for 2013 by Baseball America.
Hot pitching prospect Carlos Martinez also is on the non-roster invitee list, as well as veteran catchers Rob Johnson and J.R. Towles and outfielder Justin Christian. The last three have major league experience.
The other additions are lefthanded pitchers John Gast, Seth Maness and Tyler Lyons, catchers Adam Ehrlich, Jesus Montero, Audry Perez and Cody Stanley and infielders Greg Garcia and Starlin Rodriguez.
- New salad bar concept saves time and money for grocery stores
- Cardinals opening day starter Adam Wainwright will instead begin year on injured list
- Cardinals games will be faster and the food more local at Busch Stadium this year
- Grandson taken into custody after couple killed in Troy, Mo.
- ‘He’s ready’: Radiant rookie Jordan Walker wins opening-day spot as Cardinals finalize roster
- Missing woman found dead in Maryland Heights apartment, man charged with murder
- Man held in Troy, Mo., grandparents’ deaths scared relatives, posted threats recently
- Holy Cross church is one of the last institutions left in Baden. That may not save it.
- Iron County sheriff remains jailed as prosecutor hints at bigger scandal
- Kim Gardner created ‘toxic’ environment, failed to review police use of force, AG claims
- How Cardinals will solve at-bats riddle for Jordan Walker, returning outfielders: Extra
- Messenger: Hazelwood dad worries about school-to-prison pipeline after son, 6, is suspended
- Tipsheet: Better pitchers would make World Baseball Classic even greater
- As WBC players return, decisions loom. Did any Cardinals capitalize on open opportunities?
- Police: Lake Saint Louis teen was killed in drug robbery. Third suspect arrested.
Off the field, the Cardinals will announce today a new medical partnership with Mercy Health. Dr. George Paletta is expected to remain in his position as the club’s lead orthopedist.
A nightly look at the day\'s top sports stories, and a first look at the topics St. Louis fans will be talking about tomorrow.