Subscribe for 99¢
St. Louis U. v  Dayton

St. Louis University guard Jordan Goodwin celebrates with fans in the student section after a game between St. Louis University and Dayton on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018, at Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis. Photo by Chris Lee,

Jordan Goodwin has been crossing off days on the calendar in his head for quite a while.

Ask him any time and he'll tell you how much longer he has to wait before moving back onto campus at St. Louis University.

"Eleven more days," he said Thursday while waiting to start a workout with a trainer. "I've been counting down since I left. I'll be moving in."

Goodwin said he can return to campus housing as of May 21, and he doesn't plan to wait another day after serving a suspension for violating university policy as determined by a SLU Title IX investigation.

He left the basketball team on Feb. 13 after playing in 26 of the Billikens' 33 games. The 6-foot-3 freshman was transitioning to point guard for the first time and showing signs of a breakthrough when his penalty became known.

At the time, athletics director Chris May said Goodwin would be eligible to re-enroll and return to basketball activities after the completion of the spring semester. The first summer classes at SLU begin May 21.

That's the day he plans to be getting settled with previous roommate Hasahn French, who also was a freshman last season.

Goodwin talked about his layoff from the university and team but did not want to discuss the situation that led to his temporary absence and the departures of three players, who will not return.

"The main thing is I've been working on my craft," he said. "I've spent a lot of time in the gym and with my family. I've been doing a lot of things with my family. I've been shooting the ball a lot. I've got a trainer, but I've got a lot of people in my corner helping."

Goodwin's suspension stemmed from an investigation into allegations of sexual assault involving four players. However, he was cleared by the university of that charge, according to his father. SLU has not commented on the situation or the outcome.

He started for the Billikens from the opening game. When Goodwin left, he led the team in rebounding with 7.5 per game, assists (4.0) and steals (2.0). He also averaged 11.5 points with a high of 28. He posted the first triple-double in school history and came close to two others.

Coach Travis Ford said after the season there is no plan to move Goodwin out of the point guard spot. He averaged 33 minutes and was sometimes closer to 40. With a young backcourt, Goodwin is likely to see his minutes remain on the high side.

A product of Althoff Catholic in Belleville, Goodwin said he has kept a regular workout routine since leaving campus and has maintained his playing weight. At first he said he got caught up in an abundance of home cooking, "but I had to slow down a little bit. I feel I'm in good shape but not where I want to be."

He also has spent some time watching game video sent by SLU support services coordinator Michael Wilson, who is in charge of the program's video operations.

Goodwin will arrive on campus around the same time as some of the team's incoming freshmen, a group that includes guards Fred Thatch, Demarius Jacobs and Ingvi Gudmundsson, wing Mickey Pearson and forward Carte'Are Gordon.

While living at home with his parents, Goodwin said he has kept in touch daily with teammates via texting or phone calls. He also has opened lines of communication with the freshmen. Goodwin will be surrounded by them in the backcourt.

Unlike last season when he was being mentored, Goodwin sees a new role for himself.

"We've got a lot of young guys coming in," he said. "It's on us older guys to show them the ropes and how to play with confidence. It's a long season and we'll have to stick together to make it through."

The Billikens were on an upswing when Goodwin had to depart. They had won six out of eight and things were starting to click. They then split the next six games with Davell Roby and Aaron Hines at point guard before being eliminated from the Atlantic 10 tournament by Davidson.

Three months have passed since that game and Goodwin will have to wait six months before he can play for the Billikens again. For now, he'll be satisfied being reunited with his teammates.

"Time is ticking," he said. "I'm ready."