Subscribe for 99¢

HANNIBAL • Graham Bundy Jr. usually likes to pig out on Thanksgiving.

The MICDS senior wide out traditionally stuffs himself with turkey and all the trimmings during a day-long feast.

"I look forward to it every year," Bundy said.

That chow session will be put on hold later this week.

Bundy helped keep the Rams season alive with an out-of-this-world performance on Saturday as MICDS rallied for two touchdowns in the final minute to stun Hannibal 34-21 in a Class 4 quarterfinal contest at E.A. Porter Stadium.

The Rams (12-1) will host Smithville (11-2) in a semifinal game at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

MICDS is searching for its first championship-game appearance since it finished second in 2011.

And it has Bundy to thank for the final four berth.

"Amazing, that's a good word to describe what he did today," MICDS senior Tyler Purdy said.

Freshman quarterback Reagan Andrew said, "incredible," fits perfectly.

Bundy began his late-game blitz with a highlight-reel TD catch of a 9-yard pass from Andrew that put the Rams ahead to stay 27-21 with 45 seconds remaining. He then thwarted a last-second Hannibal rally by returning an interception 95 yards for a score on the final play.

His one-handed grab for the go-ahead TD will be a part of the Rams tradition-rich lore for years to come.

"Graham stopped surprising me about halfway through his sophomore year," MICDS coach Matt Buha said. "You expect it from him. He does things other kids just can't do."

Bundy started his day by returning a punt 86 yards for a score to put his team in front 13-12 midway through the second quarter. He then capped off a career day with two scores in the final 45 seconds.

Because Bundy and his teammates came up big during crunch times, Buha has called an early morning practice for Thursday.

"I'll just have to slow down on the turkey," Bundy said. "But to still be playing, it's more than worth it."

Buha is also happy to keep working.

"It's an honor to be able to have a practice on Thanksgiving," Buha said. "Our kids are aware of that and they won't mind at all."

The Rams put together a well-orchestrated season-saving drive with the game on the line. Trailing 21-20, Andrew and Co. took over on its own 20-yard line with 6 minutes and 17 seconds left. It converted three times on third down and once on fourth to keep the march alive. Andrew's' 3-yard run on fourth-and-1 from the 46 was the biggest conversion.

"Methodically, we just kept going and weren't going to be denied," Bundy said. "The offensive line did a good job and we just didn't make any mistakes."

Hannibal (9-4) drove down to the 21 in the closing seconds and likely had two shots at a tying score before Bundy stepped in front of a Gabe Worthingon pass and weaved his way through traffic for the clinching touchdown.

"They made some (big) plays," said Hannibal coach Mark St. Clair, who is stepping down after 22 seasons at the helm. "Give them credit, that's football."

MICDS scored three times in a span of 6:02 in the second quarter to take a 20-12 lead. Bundy's punt return was sandwiched around a pair of Andrew TD tosses to Purdy of 47 and 23 yards. Purdy caught seven passes for 58 yards.

Hannibal answered with a 2-yard run from Daylan Reading and a 30-yard field by Dezi Jones to take a 21-20 lead late in the third quarter.

The Rams then took over from there.

"We were pretty confident," Andrew said of the late-game blitz. "Just put the ball in our athletes' hands."

Andrew hit on 20 of 30 passes for 192 yards.

MICDS has won seven in a row since its only setback — a 21-20 last-second loss to Lutheran North on Sept. 29.

"There's something special about this team, you saw that today," Buha said. "We believe firmly in focus and mental preparation. And that helped get us through this one."

STL High School Sports e-newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.