Subscribe for 99¢
Blues and Jets skate in game 4 at the Enterprise Center

Blues Oskar Sundqvist slams Jets Ben Chiarot into the boards during the first period of the game between the St. Louis Blues and the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday, April 16, 2019, at the Enterprise Center. J.B. Forbes,

The Blues came back from Winnipeg with a 2-0 lead in their first-round series and they'll go back to Winnipeg even at 2-2 after Kyle Connor scored in overtime to give the Jets a 2-1 win on Tuesday night at Enterprise Center.

The Blues went up 1-0 35 seconds into the third period on a power-play goal by Vladimir Tarasenko. Alex Pietrangelo and Ryan O'Reilly passed the puck back and forth a few times before Pietrangelo passed to Tarasenko on his left and he rocketed a shot to the far side of Connor Hellebuyck for his second goal of the postseason.

Winnipeg tied the game with 12:27 to go in the third. Kyle Connor and Mark Scheifele came in on a two-on-one and Connor served up a perfect pass for Scheifele to tip in past Jordan Binnington for his second goal of the playoffs. After tipping the puck, Scheifele crashed into Binnington, which led to one of the many post-whistle scrums in the game.

Winnipeg outshot the Blues 15-7 in the third period, but Binnington was up to the task, with the fans chanting "Binn-ing-ton" after a save on Scheifele on a breakaway.

The Blues and Jets exchanged body blows in a frantic second but neither team could score. The Blues were outshooting Winnipeg 24-19, though the Jets had more of the possession in the second period, though the teams were even in shots on goal with 14 in the second period, after the Blues controlled the first. The Blues have 25 hits through two periods, the Jets 22. That's just about what the teams had for the full Game 3.

Binnington came through with some big saves, including stopping Brandon Tanev on a breakaway, deflecting his shot off the crossbar, after a shot by Joel Edmundson was blocked. He also made two quick saves in succession early in the period when Winnipeg was buzzing his net.

The Blues had chances, many featuring Pat Maroon, who almost scored 20 seconds in when his tip went off the post. The Blues had a partial 2-on-none break midway through the period but Jaden Schwartz couldn't get a rushed shot off and Ivan Barbashev put the rebound wide.  Nine minutes into the period, Ryan O'Reilly took out from in back of the net and passed across the crease, but neither Vladiir Tarasenko nor Jay Bouwmeester could get to the pass.

The first period was the opposite of Game 3. The Blues had outshot Winnipeg 8-0 before the Jets got their first shot on goal with 9:02 to go in the first. Winnipeg had a power play after David Perron was called for tripping (it looked like a bad call) but the Blues, who have had trouble on the penalty kill throughout the series, got through it unscathed.

The Blues best chance may have been 3 1/2 minutes into the period when Pat Maroon took the puck in front of the net and was getting in position for a shot when goalie Connor Hellebuyck reached out and pokechecked the puck off his stick before he could shoot.

Tom Timmermann is a Blues beat writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.