Robby Kristo, who starred at Parkway North High and St. Louis University, scored on a header in stoppage time Saturday night to lift North Carolina FC to a 1-0 victory over visiting St. Louis FC, ending STLFC’s postseason hopes. The loss ended STLFC’s frustrating season at 11-14-9. Seventh-place North Carolina FC improved to 16-10-8 and will host a United Soccer League Championship playoff game Wednesday. It was the team-leading 10th goal of the season for Kristo. Following a five-game winning streak to start September, STLFC went 0-5-1 to close the season. It was 3-11-3 away from home in league action. (Joe Lyons)
MLS playoffs: Jonathan Osorio scored twice, Richie Laryea and Nick DeLeon added two more in a four-goal extra-time outburst and Toronto FC beat visiting D.C. United 5-1 inan opening-round game of the MLS playoffs. That ended 33-year-old Wayne Rooney’s MLS career. He is returning to England to join Derby County.
• Franco Escobar’s goal at the 69th minute broke a scoreless match and gave defending champion Atlanta a 1-0 victory over visiting New England in
• In Seattle, Jordan Morris scored in the 113th minute to complete a hat trick in the Sounders’ 4-3 extra-time victory over FC Dallas.
• Jefferson Savarino scored in the 87th minute to break a 2-2 tie and lead Real Salt Lake to a 2-1 victory over visiting Portland. (AP)
Tussle follows Jones’ Xfinity win: Brandon Jones notched his first career Xfinity Series victory Saturday at Kansas Speedway, a race that included a pit-road fight between fellow playoff contenders Tyler Reddick and Cole Custer. Reddick finished second and Chase Briscoe rallied to third
Tennis roundup: Andy Murray, who had hip surgery in January, is back in an ATP tour final for the first time since March 2017 after beating Ugo Humbert 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 in the European Open semifinals in Antwerp, Belgium. He will face Stan Wawrinka in the final.
• Defending champion Julia Georges advanced to the final of the Luxembourg Open with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Elena Rybakina and facez Jelena Ostapenko.
• Belinda Bencic booked the last spot at the season-ending WTA Finals by defeating Kristina Mladenovic 6-3, 6-4 in the Kremlin Cup semifinals in Moscow. (AP)
Parel, Tolles tie for lead: Scott Parel shot his second straight 6-under 66 in Richmond, Va., for a share of the lead with Tommy Tolles in the Dominion Energy Charity Classic, the first of three tournaments in the PGA Tour Champions’ playoffs. The top 54 advancing to the Invesco QQQ Championship on Nov. 1-3 in Thousand Oaks, Calif. (AP)
J. Korda leads in Shanghai: Jessica Korda shot a 6-under 66 in the third round to take a one-shot lead at the Buick LPGA Shanghai. Korda is playing her first tournament since the Solheim Cup one month ago. (AP)
Wiesberger wins Italian Open: On the European Tour, Bernd Wiesberger moved atop the Race to Dubai rankings by winning the Italian Open for his second Rolex Series victory of the year. He shot a 6-under 65 for a one-stroke victory over Matthew Fitzpatrick. (AP)
Raptors extend Siakam: The NBA’s Toronto Raptors and Pascal Siakam agreed on a four-year, $130 million maximum extension, a source told the Associated Press on Saturday. Siakam was the NBA’s Most Improved Player last season for the NBA champions. (AP)